Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 king pin removal, help needed!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dodgedude99, Jul 30, 2005.

1. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i have everything i need to rebuild my $150 junkyard jewel.
    i tear it apart, and get ready to remove the kingpins.

i bring the carcass over to my dads to use his acel/oxy torches.
    i heat it up a little, try hitting it with the allen wrench and a 2' piece of pipe, nothing.

heat it up a little more, stick the allen in there, add the pipe and now a put some of my 314# behind it, and low and behold, i split the kingpin down the side.

WTF do i do know to get it out of there?

2. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

:eek1: Split the KingPin, All I did was use a 4' cheater on my Allen wrench and presto chango they backed right out. No heat, just a little PB Blaster soaked in from a couple days before. Can you get a Pipe wrench on it? Maybe cut a flat spot off of one side to get a better bite. A Pic might help for suggestions.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

50/50 shot easy/hard just have to do it and hope for the best. thats exactly why i didnt change my pins but all other parts yes.

4. rumbly truck

rumbly truck 1/2 ton status

Drill about a 1/2" hole thougth the pin. The bigger the better for the hole size, with out hitting the threads . Then take the torch, and heat the pin until it is cherry colored.This works better if you run the flame through the drilled hole. Then let it air cool completely. Hopefully the pin will shrink when it cools down, try a pipe wrench, maybee you will have to grind flats to put a cresant wrench. Good luck

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Another suggestion is to weld a huge nut on top of it and use a wrench on that, you better be a good welder though. Also I would soak it with PB blaster in my expeirance it is the best

6. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

good news.

i heated it up from the underside of the pin (i was just heating the top yesterday) and had gotten the split side out with a pipe wrench.

heated the same way on the other side, and with the allen and a 4" piece of pipe and a quick tug and that side came loose.

had me worried that my $150 Dana 60 was ruined because of a bad kingpin.

thanks for the help

shawn

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

There's the problem right there: 2' pipe. Should use at least 4' every time.

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i cracked mine when removing it. what did was take 2 peices of 3/16 steel plate and using a hole saw cut a hole in each one. the first hole should be big enough to fit about half way down the kingpin and using the second peice of plate cut a hole just large enough that it fits just the top of the king pin. now weld these 2 peices of plate to the king pin. this will keep your king pin from opening up any more.

when using heat don't heat the C up to much or you will weaken the inner C. and i would use a 4' breaker bar this time useing even pressure.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  9. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    i use 3 peices but that was over kill.

[​IMG]

i cracked this king pin using a 8 foot peice of pipe that was way to long and did not allow for even pressure.