Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 king pin replacement

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by RUSS84K5, Jul 26, 2002.

1. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Jan 9, 2001
    I,v got the 7/8 Allen socket and the one inch drive breaker bar. I tried to get one king pin out and I heard some scarry craking noises. So I stoped and found that the king pin cracked verticaly in three spots at the corner of the hex cavity in the top of the pin. I think I can easily cut the "walls" off, meaning the top half of the pin and weld a bar to it to be able to turn it out. My main concern is
    A. Do I have to be worried about breaking the "ring" part of the nuckle?

B. Has anyone used heat to expand the ring.?

C. Could I weaken the nuckle by heating it?

2. Ruthiford

Ruthiford Registered Member

Jun 25, 2001
    F.Y.I the dana book calls for around 600ftlbs torque when reinstaling these I have herd that heat is ok but I think there still a BEEEEitchto get off and when you go back on use the good locktight if it comes just a little unscrewd (and you dont know it and you drive it for a while)youll be screwd the threads will kinda strip out and you will have to replace the housing or the knuckel fordging(speeeling)(which ever is cheeper)thats all I know?????
  3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Sep 15, 2000
    Maybe slip a tube down over the old kingpin and weld it in to give some more hoop strength to it? I'd use a bit of heat on the knuckle, anything up to about 400 degrees for reasonably short periods of time won't hurt a bit and can give you a decent amount of expansion of the yoke. Try dropping some ice/water, maybe dry ice in the kingpin itself as you heat to keep it cool and the temp differential will help loosen it up. I would look into a gob of penetrating oil from the underside also.
    I don't think you have to worry about breaking the yoke, the wheel loads it's built to take are ENORMOUS comparatively.