Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Knuckle Problems.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryan22re, Sep 12, 2006.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I am slowly going through my D60 when I ran into a problem. On the passenger knuckle where the crossover steering arm would bolt down, one of the bolt holes is seriously ****ed. The bolt wasn't even tight, and pulled out all of the threads with it when it came out.

There will be no rethreading of the hole, as there is very little material left. Helicoils make me nervous, not always, but in this application where the steering will be pushing on the studs. Does anybody have an experience with helicoils this big and load applied to it? Can I drill it for a bigger stud/bolt?

Or should I start looking for a passenger side knuckle? Here's the pic of what's left of the bolt. The hole in question is the one in the upper left hand corner of the pic.

Screwed1.jpg

Screwed2.jpg

2. FWP

FWP CRS

I had to helicoil one of my mine, it turned out great. It held up fine for a year. With studs on the histeer arm, the holes don't get stripped. I wound up busting a knuckle, and since have gone to Dedenbear.

3. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

If you install the helicoil correctly... It will hold up just fine. I have used HC's in much more critical situations than this. Let us know how it turns out.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I'll probably get the knuckle off and try to set it up in the mill or drill press at work to make sure I get it straight.

What's the thread size btw? My guess is 1/2 20.