Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 knuckles on a dana 44 axle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Taz, May 14, 2001.

1. Taz

Taz Registered Member

I just got 4 Wheel Drive & sport Utility Mag. July 2001, on page96 there is an article that puts dana 60 knuckles, u-joints and narrowed axles ona dana 44. They used a F-450 super duty and modified them. the company that did that was Currie Ent. www.currieenterprises.com
    my question is has anybody tried this?

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

You can do pretty much what ever you want it just depends how much $ your willing to part with.A friend of mine builds custom axles and tube chassis n stuff is building a front end for some dudes toyota. Its got a 9"center section and Dana 60 axle tubes and knuckles.It looks way cool but its gonna cost him like $4000 bucks.What ever floats yer boat I guess.

Proving once again that man CAN live on beer alone

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

This sounds like a fairly new idea that someone else has done. If it worked, then great for them. But using the F-450 knuckles only means one thing: those are the ball joint type and not the kingpin type like our favorite D60's on our Chevy's. I do not see how anyone can make a kingpin type fit on any D44 or 10B or anything like these that have ball joint type knuckles. I can see the F-450 knuckles working on a D44 since anybody can do machine work to those knuckles. Plus the fact the F-450 knuckles are already ball joint type knuckles makes them easier to mate to the D44. Just the kingpin type knuckles would be too hard, if not impossible.

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

4. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

If you used the 60 outers.Then you could use the stronger u-joints in the axles the outer would be stronger.But unless i'm missing something here the inner shafts would have too be turned down and resplined too fit the diff.Sounds like alot of work.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hey Wes, I think they swap the entire tube and knuckle. Seems like I saw an article on this a while back where they made a bushing/insert thing to adapt the D60 tubes to some other center section and then put a gusset across the whole thing on top. Don't remember if it was a Ford 9" or D44 what. Or, maybe I'm just tired and not thinking clearly...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Now that method would make more sense. Anybody can have a machine shop mill the tubes down to fit in the differential section. Yeah, I agree with you BD. I just didnt see how the knuckles would fit on a stock D44. [​IMG]

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!