Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 locker questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mybeast, Oct 25, 2000.

1. mybeast

mybeast Registered Member

I'm almost ready to order my Dana 60 from Boyce, but i'm not sure what type of locker to order. I would like the ARB, but its just to much $$$. Question those of you running lockers in your front 60's, what are you running, and how do you like it? Pros & Cons.I have the np203 with the part time kit. Thanks for the help.

When all else fails MASH the skinny pedal!

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I have a detroit in mine, I also have a crossover steering set up. I love it, the detroit that is. For that matter, the crossover also.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Are you going to drive on the street in the snow/ice? If so I would advice against a Detroit in the front. How much more does Boyce want for the ARB compared with the Detroit? If the hubs are locked on the trail only, then get the Detroit.

Shawn
    87 K5
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

4. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Check out Hicks 4x4 in Pomona,CA. They're prices may actually work out to be cheaper than Boyce depending on how you option it. They only add $375 for the ARB. Boyce adds $750 I think.

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have been asking the same questions while building my Dana 60. As Shawn said, who is a very good source of information, it depends on the type of driving you will be doing. This is my opinion after doing some research on the net, with Shawn, and here in Tulsa at, Sam's Offroad, Harmon's 4X4, and Youngs 4X4. Of course, the ARB would be the best all around differential, but it is expensive. The other choices are Lockers or Limited Slips. I chose a Power-Lock because it is a very aggressive limited slip, is rebuildalbe, and you will still have steering on slick surfaces. My decision was based on that most people I talked to said if you want to steer on slippery surfaces you do not want a Locker, and that's what most of my off-roading consists of. However if you do rock-crawling or very slow off-roading then a locker is for you.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I agree on the Dana Power-Lok for a good limited slip!
    I have one in the rear of my K5's Dana60 and It provides me with lots of two tire traction! I will put a Power-lok in the front some day too.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I've got a Powr-Lok in my front 60 and love it. I can actually turn, unlike my Jeep CJ5 with Detroit in front...it does not turn well!! Just have the PL rebuilt and set up tight, add the Sta-Lube friction enhancer (blue tooth-paste looking tube) and you're set!

ken

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I forgot to add, if you would like a Powr-Lok for a 60 (or 70 or 44), contact me off list and I can put you in touch with a guy that "junkyards" and sells them for $150, 30 or 35 spline.

ken

9. mybeast

Thanks for the input. Living in So. Cal I do all kinds of driving even snow and ice every once and a while. Brain thanks i'll check into Hicks their close enough i could pick the axle up and not have to pay shipping.Thanks for the info on the power-lok I'll look into that also.

10. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

Let me know when you get ready to buy a 60 I might be able to save you some cash. I found another brand new one that I
    will be getting in less than 2 weeks. I also currently have
    a brand new dana 60 with the very rare 4.56 and up powerlock. Anyway let me know what they quote you. Russ who
    is on this sight who lives in san diego will be coming up to
    Oregon about the middle of the month and if you pitched in on gas he would probably be happy to bring you one. Brian

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

11. mybeast

Brain, thanks for the info. I'll keep you in mind. I'm going to try and get a hold of Hicks in the next couple of days And compare prices. I'll let you know what they say.

12. Brians 60s

Not a problem. BTW I will take Brain as a compliment.!!!!

13. Brians 60s

Ken,
    I have been hanging on to a 4.56 and up powerlock for
    a while now but I need the 35 spline guts for it. If you can
    find them or a complete 4.56 and up powerlock for a reasonable price, I would be interested. Thanks. Brian