Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Lockers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Depdog, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Just in case any of you dont know. The 35 Spline Dana 60 Detroit is on national back order. I called about 15 places before I found one and everybody is saying the same thing. Been back ordered for a few months. I called TracTech and they wont return my calls or give me an answer as to when they will making another run on them. If anybody is looking, drop me an email, I know who has a few!

Oh yeah. Am I ORANGE???

Depdog /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

bout time /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    what are your thoughts about street manners with that D in the front /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif unless you also picked up a tow rig with that 60 /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. Depdog

Does not bother me a bit, the Dana 60 has locking hubs. Wont drive any different than my Dana 44 with Lock Right locker in it.

Depdog

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Tell me about it. I am waiting myself. Rumor has it, they left the country for production.

Ken H.

5. Depdog

If yer tired of waiting, I know where some are, well were today anyway. Mine is on the way.

Depdog /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

You mean your going to get off your ass and work on it /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Better pull them axles! Advertiser came out today!!!! Let me know if you need sawzall blades /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Have you considered a lock rite? From what I've seen of more than one person running them out here, they seem to hold up *better* than a detroit in the front. This comes from more than one person who has run both of them in serious rock rigs. Basically I haven't heard of a single lock rite failure in a front D60, even after multiple broken shafts in some cases, while these same people have busted detroits with far less abuse. Now, I take any of these type stories with a grain of salt but, since I've heard it from more than one, it would seem that the two should be at the least comparable. So, for ease of install, lower price, and readily available, I'm running a lock rite...

8. Depdog

Well, I have no problems with the Lock Right, only I dont have an open case in the front, its a Track Loc. As far as the Lock Right lasting longer than a Detroit, you would have to show me broken parts. I have heard the exact opposite of what you have said. Heard of people blowing out Lock Rights and the Detroits lasting forever. Right now I have a Detroit in the rear 12 bolt and Lock Right in the front Dana 44 with no problems with either one.

Depdog

9. BadDog

I agree on hearing the opposite, and it certainly seems to be true for the smaller axles. But the guys I talked to out here seem to have a different experience with the 35 spline front D60s. NoRulz runs a F350 front D60 with 42s and lock rite since 96 (IIRC). That lock rite has survived multiple broken axles and joints. Same it true for 2 friends of his (Steve and ???, I'm no good with names) who have been running full size rigs on the rocks out here for years. Based on their testimonial (wanting to lock the front for an upcoming run with no time or $$ for a detroit which I was originally planning for) I bought the lock rite. Afterwards, I had second thoughts and considered returning it. Then, I asked around and found other front D60s running lock rites with big tires and power, not one single person I talked to had ever had a problem even though most/many had broken axles under load. Steve (IIRC) and several others had also run DL and they *had* broken them when axles failed. They honestly said that they would not put the money into a D60 DL again. That's just what I was told, I don't have enough experience with mine yet to say how it will last but, that convinced me to save the money and give it a whirl. If you care to investigate, Mat (NoRulz) can certainly give more detailed accounts as I have likely muddled who told me what stories. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Anyway, just wanted to throw out the results of my investigations which led me to try something I would otherwise not have even considered... Either way, good luck.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

is the open carrier 4 pin?

11. four_by_ken

I cant see a loc rite surviving. Dana 60 Detoits dont break too easy. I have seen 20+(truthfully) shafts go in my friends truck, and still on the same Detroit. I will stick with the Detroit.

I am running 44s, just dont trust a lock rite.

Ken H.

12. four_by_ken

Mine is already bought and paid for. Or else I woudl go somewhere else if they had a supply.

Thanks
    Ken H.

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Maybe they are confusing the Detroit Locker with the Detroit EZ locker? *shrug*

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Trac Tech is in SE michigan...why don't you go over there and yell at them for the rest of the wheeleres /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If your going to run a front Locker you will have to Partime. Front locker and fulltime....hehe you will run off the road every time you press the gas and try to turn.

16. four_by_ken

Thats the problem... supposedly they have moved out of the country for production. Scottland I think. Probably wrong on the location though.
    There is no longer the local presure to keep up with demands. So it is more a when they get them done they get them done. So, I am expecting to see prices on them rise real soon.

Ken H.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I got mine from Currie about a month ago... u could try them... i dunno...

J

18. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yeh i had a lil brain fart there and forgot about them hubs /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. Depdog

Already called TracTech, they are not very helpful to their dealers, so they were NOT helpful to me. They did not have an answer. The 35 Spline Dana 60 front Detorit has been on national backorder for a couple months now. I found one at a reputable shop and got em to price match it at $465.00

Their other out of the country operation is in Ireland. So if they are making them out of country I would say its there.

Depdog

20. BadDog

4 pin? Are you saying I've confused this with a 14 bolt (which of course would mean that the two are practically the same)? If so, the answer is "no". /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif