Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Mods

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by i_4x4, Oct 7, 2002.

1. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at a '85 Dodge D60 housing. What mods are needed to make it work? In my '85K5. Thanks in advance. Ed

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Get ahold of 'mj' on this forum. He runs a Dodge D60 in his Chevy shortbox. The spring spacing is slightly different, and the track width is a touch narrower too.

3. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

ttt /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

youll need a chevy steering arm, and something to spread your springs out, the spring perches are a half an inch overall wider, so the springs have to be spread a 1/4 inch on each side, youll want to use Chevy u bolt plates i think, cuz i used the dodge ones and had to auger out the hole a little so the center pin of the leaf spring would go through it, and i think youll need to change the Yoke, but thats about it,

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

IIRC we determined the spring perch distance is ~1/2" wider on a dodge.
    many people with lift springs simply pry the chev springs with a Hilift or something to stuff it in.
    I think if you got creative with spring bushings you could get the springs to line up
    on my dif there was a substantial amount of work being done to roll the pinion up to correct driveline angles so it wasnt much extra to carve the spring perch a little closer to the centre.

shock mount placement and style varies between the chev and dodge as well

there is a ton of info on this site
    search the second gen forum for the terms 'dodge' AND '60', be sure to specify 'AND' and not 'whole phrase'
    if you need to know more post up, and I would like to hear anything you have to add as you go.