Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 nuckle beef

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by RUSS84K5, Mar 20, 2003.

1. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Hi all,

I'v been seeing some talk of nuckle carnage. In particular( Ford D60, witch I have) the top of the nuckle around the king pin. would it be a good idea to weld some flat plate to the front and back of the top of the nuckle to tie it in to the main body of the nuckle?

Any ideas would be great

Thanks
    Russ

2. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I am building a Chevy dana 60 now, and I was wondering the same thing because I am going to run highsteer
    with WTO Hydro assist, and I have heard that you can break the top of the knuckle. I was curious if you could
    some how beef up the top of the knuckle without buying some $1300 knuckles. Any info would be great. Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

3. NE-RokToy

NE-RokToy Registered Member

What if you ran the tierod in the stock location and ran the hydro assist of that, the majority of the load would be slpit between the two kingpins instead of the top passanger side one (the one I've seen break) some creative use of thick plate still may still be a good Idea however.

4. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Well that is definitly a consideration however, then you donty get the benefit of the Highsteer's tie rod clearence. Also I would hate to put on a hydro ram and everything in the stock loaction and then smash it on a rock. So I would love to do highsteer if the chances of breaking a knuckle arnt that great, or better yet if we could somehow beef up the knuckles. Stephen any ideas on beefing them up? Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I hate to make it easy but Scott at Rockstomper gave me a heads up on his new knuckles recently and this is pretty much just what they're for. No idea of cost but they are beefy. I've been a little nervous about my pass. knuckle but figured since there's nothing out there to really beef it I'd wait till it broke and fix it if I really have a problem. Now I might get a new knuckle for the right side and just put it on. Maybe. I try to drive so that I don't use the steering that hard but there are times you just have to turn and hydro assist gives you lots of push. I'm not that opposed to the factory tie rod location, use a beefy tube, mount the ram above and behind the tie rod and get on with it. The Dodge knuckles raise the tierod up nicely, the stock location on them is pretty high, maybe you could find a set of those somehow, then leave the tierod down.

6. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I already got a set of dodge knuckles that I have bead blasted and painted. I guess I am just going to leave it in the stock spot and get a real beefy tube. I really dont feel like paying over a $1000 for some Dana 60 Knuckles. Later
    -fLeXy K20