Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 numbers on housing???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kevin_saun, Jul 19, 2004.

1. kevin_saun

kevin_saun Registered Member

I aquired a junkyard dana60, free, i was looking for the bom's and i couldnt see nay numbers on the tubes, what i did find was.......on the upper web-c40386(or g40386), lower web-60F, back of pumpkin looks like 154a any ideas? I checked the pirates site and nothing, the housing is missing axles, hubs, so I want to make sure, it is a chevy60, open knuckle, pass side diff, internal hubs, single wheel...any help would be greatly appreciated as i will also have to put seals and bearings in it, thxs in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the hubs determine internal/external hubs and single/dually wheels, if its missing those then what does it matter? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

open knuckle, can you see where the axle joint would be? if so then its open.

pass side diff, with the spring pads up and facing the cover side, the pig would be on the left.

on the chevy/dodge d60 i couldn't help you. IIRC the axles are different length but not sure on any dimentions.

as for the BOM# IIRC its on the long tube front (same as diff cover)

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    on the chevy/dodge d60 i couldn't help you. IIRC the axles are different length but not sure on any dimentions.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The WMS to WMS are the same on both, its the spring pads center to center that is 1/2" different in over all dimension, I think the chevy is wider, but I could be wrong.

4. big83chevy4x4

i though i read that the WMS on a dodge is narrower /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

also i thought that the short side is longer and the long side is shorter /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. kevin_saun

kevin_saun Registered Member

i was describing it, I know its open knuckle, pass side diff, internal hubs, I just need help on the numbers and as for the bom, I didnt see 1 on the tube, thats why i listed those numbers, thxs anyways.

6. big83chevy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    4) Chevy leaf spring pads are 3 inches wide and 32 inches apart (center-pin to center-pin), Dodge are 2.5 inches wide and 32.5 inches apart.

5) All SRW Chevy D60s are 69" wide wheel-mounting-surface to wheel-mounting-surface (wms-wms). Most SRW Dodge are 67" wide, although some are reportedly 69" wide too. A Dodge DRW D60 is 75.5" wms-wms.

[/ QUOTE ]

pulled from pirate4x4

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status Premium Member

Cool, i learned my something new today /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

My dodge front puts the tires allmost even with the 14FF. It is actually a little bonus in using a dodge front end.

9. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

When I got my junkyard D60, it was so crusty, rusty, and mossy that I couldnt even see the BOM either. Take a piece of sandpaper and a can of WD40, and hunt for it. May take a few minutes, but in my case the BOM wasn't stamped that deeply and was almost not visible.

If it does happen to be a dodge axle (mine was), when you decode the BOM it will tell you that its from a 600 or 700...that is crap. Mine was from a '78 W200 but according to the pirate article it was a 6- or 700. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

One other thing that could tell you if its a dodge axle is if there is a threaded hole in the driver side tube that goes all the way thru to where the axleshaft would be. This was for a bracket to hold on dodge's funky brakes, which had just one hose on the driver side, that went across the axle to the passenger side /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    good luck