Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 or 14 bolt???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BamBamblazer, Mar 2, 2004.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

I have a dana 60 rear with the right gears and a 14ff with the wrong gears and it need rebuilt.(very sloppy) So should i just use the d60 or should i rebuild and regear the 14ff? The k5 will see mainly trails with a few rocks but not much and will be an occasional wheeler. Not everyweekend but probobly at least once a month in the summer.Tires are 39.5" iroks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Guy here runs 44" boggers with 4.56 gears and a locked rear 60. He has had no problems at all in many years of abuse.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Run the 60. If you break it, then would be the time to rebuild the 14 bolt FF.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I like the 14BFF a lot better in the rear than a D60 because of it's strength advantages but like what was said above, run it and see what happens, for now thats the cheapest thing to do.

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

if you do run the 60 put 35slpine axles in there it will save you a lot of troubles

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    if you do run the 60 put 35slpine axles in there it will save you a lot of troubles

[/ QUOTE ]

Be pretty difficult to put 35 spline shafts into a D60 rear because the spindle bore is too small. I read in a magazine where ORU drilled out the spindle bore to install the true 1.5" 35 spline shafts. They used some monster bit to bore their way thru and it also took forever. The end result was lots of wasted time and very thin walled spindles. I wouldn't do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

A couple of years of F-350's came with 35 spline 60's. Seems like 78-79 were the years, but they were a rare option. If the 60 is 35 spline it is for the most part as strong as a 14bolt, with the benefit that it is lighter and has better ground clearance and can be gear past 5:13. Just depends on what you looking for in the future for mods.

I have been in on the boring of one set of spindles and it was time consuming, but I feel worth it.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I thought F350's in those years had D70 rears. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In the words of KRAZIE87K5,

"RUN IT 'TIL IT'S DONE!"

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Better ground clearance with the Dana 60. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The end result was lots of wasted time and very thin walled spindles. I wouldn't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect.

If it is a 30 spline 60, which it probably is, it can be pretty easily broken with large tires or large HP. A machine shop can easily bore the spindles to accept dana 70 35 spline shafts. Boring the spindles makes them dimensionally the same as a dana 70, which isn't known to be weak by any means.