Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 or 44 to replace 10 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ssped, Mar 11, 2006.

1. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have been searching and have not found enough info on which is better and easier to swap in to replace the front axle. tons of info on the rear. I am installing a 14ff rear set up and wonder which front set up i should get. A Dana 44 or 60. which is easier to install(I allready have new braided steel brake lines). it is all going into a 82.

More info and feed back please.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A D44 swap is not an upgrade over a 10 bolt front. The D60 is an upgrade. A D60 is a relitivly easy swap. There is tons of info here on D60 swaps and why D44s aren't any stronger then 10 bolts.

Harley

3. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I did a search on this a while back and came up with good info. I had both a D44 and a 10 bolt to use in the front of my builder and I was wondering which was better for budget and strength. I found a poll, and like 80 percent said the 10 bolt was the way to go because there was little if any strength difference between a D44 and a 10 bolt. They both have 8.5 ring gears, and 10 bolt is 28 spline vs. 30 splines on a 44. Not just that, 10 bolt axles are still dime a dozen but 44 stuff isn't nearly as common. I never even considered using a D60 because of budget, and if you haven't priced one you should. I asked my local junkyard how much they get for different axles and a 10 bolt or 44 is $175 complete, and a D60 is $1200(!!) IF you can even find one. If you are rich buy as much strength as you can get, if you are like me stick with smaller cheaper stuff and bare in mind it is breakable. Kevin

4. ssped

I was going to go to pull a part. Axles are axles there and the prices are pretty generic. I was just going to spool the 10 bolt and swap over to 8 lug if it will hold up to my beating. I tore the rear Diff off the axle tubes last weekend.

5. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

uhhh if ur that abusive on stuff.. get rockwells... and or def. a dana 60

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you have a heavy foot or a hard driving style then you need to just pony up and get a D60 and 14bff combo. Neither a 10 bolt or a D44 will handle heavy feet or driving styles especially with spools or lockers and tires of the 35"+ sizes. You can make 10 bolts and D44 front axles survive with lockers and 35-38" tires if you are easy on your equipment and don't do alot of hammer down driving. I rockcrawled my 10 bolt front with 35's and a locker for 2 years without breaking a single axle but that was do to good spotters, smart driving and good maintanence.

Harley

7. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Hard use on 10b or 44's is asking for trouble. After you break for the 4th or 5th time you start to realize that a 60 isnt as expensive as it seemed at first.

8. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Never enough money to do it right, but always enough to do it over (and over and over and...). Then there's the downtime and the busted knuckles doing yet another repair, when you could have ponied up more $$$ in the past and be out driving instead of wrenching.

9. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

The 10 bolt is pretty much just GM's copy of the Dana 44 when they got tired of paying dana to make axles for them they just copied it and started machining it themselves. Some years of GM trucks can have either a D44 or a 10 bolt, whichever they had lying around when they were putting it together. So a D44 is not much of an upgrade unless you put chromemoly axles and a locker in it. If you have a d60 by all means put that in. You can get a u-joint that will adapt from your stock driveshaft to the d60 at Napa. If the years are close to the same the springs should be at about the right width. You will have to change u-bolts and maybe some steering linkage but the d60 should pretty much bolt in. Measure the spring perches on the 10 bolt and the d60 because that is where the work is.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

better: D60
    easier: D44

Depends on the amount of abuse you plan on subjecting your axles too. If you have a big engine, big tires or like to play in rocks / hardcore trails, you'll want a D60. If you have a small block, small budget and don't plan on running tires over 37s... a D44 might work for you. In any case, neither one is "hard" to install.

j

11. ssped

I am going to look at the D60. I have to get the 14ff in next weekend and have her up and running. Gots the Wheels coming and I didnt think about it till this morning Standing in the garage admiring my handy work but the shackles are to small for the 14b.

I am not really heavy footed but I tend to get in pretty heavy stuff. Iwas climbin a pretty stout hill and was pushin it a bit when she let go. I think she was week to begin with. I am headed straight back after she is goin again.

12. ssped

by the way it is a 6.2 with 33's

13. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Heres something to think about, weld the rearend or put a cheapie locker in it and just leave the front open. :dunno: I doubt you'd have a breakage problem with an open 10-bolt and 33's. Kevin

14. ssped

I just do not want to be stranded like last time again. I was really lucky to be at the top of a 5000 foot peak and I ended up only having to be towed accros the top 1/4 mile. the next 7 miles I coasted down hill. made it all the way to the last water crossing before she stalled out of speed. I easily could have been in a really bad spot when she let go.

15. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

one more thing to think about is if you already have a 10b, you have 10mm banjo bolts on your brakelines. most D60's also have 10mm banjo bolts, while D44's have 7/16" ones. although we tore into my buddies 78 D60 the other day and it had a 7/16" one. but just something to think about. also, it might be a little more work but you will want cross over steering. and that is a little easier on a D60. you dont have to find a flattop, etc.

16. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

IIWY, leave the 10 bolt you have, alone. Without locking it you will almost never break it with 33s. Your 14FF is going to need 8 lug wheels. Swapping a 10 bolt to 8 lug is easy. Do not put a spool in a 10 bolt. Shave the bottom 3/4" off of the 14FF for ground clearance, you will need all you can get with 33s.