Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 or 70?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudGorilla, Jan 18, 2001.

1. MudGorilla

MudGorilla Registered Member

Whats the difference between a Dana 70 and Dana 60 (both front axles)? I know the 70 has a 10.5" ring gear but is the housing stronger? How come I have only seen a few 4x4's with dana 70's up front and also in the rear. Are front axle 70's pretty rare?

Also for the rear axle would a Dana 70 or 14-bolt be stronger. I am thinking of going with the 70 because it can use a ARB locker.

thx

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

To the best of my knowledge, there were very few trucks that left the factory with a front Dana 70 axle which makes them very hard to find. Also, all of the front 70s I have seen were closed knuckle and supposedly the axle shafts are not any stronger than a 60 (or so I have heard......). I have also seen some heavier trucks (2-ton or so) with these but they typically have some type of industrial lug pattern which makes finding tires and wheels difficult.
    For the rear, most people say that the 70 and 14-bolt full-floater are pretty comparable in strength. The advantage of the 14-bolt is that they are easy to find, relatively cheap, and are a direct bolt-in for most Chevy/GMC applications.

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Call me crazy pal, but ARB has an air locker for a dana 60 as well. (probably cheaper too)

--matt
    shaggyk5: 85 Blazer, 6" lift coming soon!
    Check out the Shag-site: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</A>
    nuthin like a heavy chevy!

4. MudGorilla

MudGorilla Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

shaggyk5: I was talking about the 70 vs the 14-bolt. That way I could have ARB locker for the rear. I think that would better for a daily driver then a detroit in the rear.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by MudGorilla on 01/19/01 02:50 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

oh, that makes perfect sense, you said: "a dana 70 and a dana 60 (both front axles)"

And I never even noticed the part where you switched to talking about a rear dana 70. [​IMG]

--matt
    shaggyk5: 85 Blazer, 6" lift coming soon!
    Check out the Shag-site: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</A>
    nuthin like a heavy chevy!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by shaggyk5 on 01/19/01 10:15 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

everything ive been told says to go with a 14bolt in the rear also the arb locker is having problems detonating in the fullsize rigs, so think about it for a while also 70s are hard to get parts for.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

7. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Dude....lighten up! The rear part was like 3 posts in --chill!

"I'm not stuck...I'm just exploring the depth and texture of this mudhole for a while"