Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Parts Question (R/P, yoke/carrier)?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BCB2, Feb 9, 2003.

1. BCB2

BCB2 Registered Member

Just wondering about swapability of parts from older (1970's) ford D60 rears, non hi pinion, to my 85 D60 chevy front. First, can I swap pinion yokes?(splines the same, seal, bearings) Second, How about the R/P and carrier? From what I have learned, I think the ford rears 30 spline side gears and mine is 35 spline (correct me if this is wrong) but are the rest of the innards the same? I tried a search and came up empty handed on this.

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Yoke will work. Gears will work so long as you are aware of the ratio breaks... Dana 60 is 4.10-down, and 4.56-up. Changing from one 'range' to the other requires a different differential case.

Ford Dana 60 rears of that era will be either 16 or 30 spline. I don't know if the 35-spline side gears can be swapped in, or if the case itself is too small to accept the 35-spline shafts.

3. BCB2

BCB2 Registered Member

Anyone else with experience/opinion on this? thanks for the help so far.