Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Power Lock

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Feb 18, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I can get a Dana 60 Power Lock for $100. It's out of a rear Dana 60 (4.10). I was told I can use it in a front 60 that I'll be putting under my truck. I was also thinking about welding the spiders in the 14 bolt rear. I've heard that having a locked front makes steering difficult to control. Would it be worth getting and installing the power lock? or should I just keep the front open? The specs on the truck are as follows: 4 spd./205, Big Block (maybe a 427-not built yet), 14 bolt rear, Dana 60 front w/ 4.10s, and will be running 38" or 39" tires. It will be run in local mud races and driving around backroads, mudholes, hills, etc... and see a little on road use.

2. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

Please get a locker!!! don't make my mistake. i put a dana trac-lok in my dana 60 and i hate it. dumb morons talked me out of a detroit, worst mistake. u sound like the majority of the driving u do is off road and i think the locked front will help out alot. this is all my opinion but if i could go back i would not have wasted the money by putting a lsd in the front

3. mountainexplorer

What is it about the trac-loc you don't like?

4. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

uh, they dont work worth a dam! i have never seen the 2 front tires spin on my truck at the same time for longer than 4 seconds before the clutch packs break loose. others might have different opinions, but all i know is that i have a $350 open differential.

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

if you do decide to use the poawer-loc make sure it has 35 splines. i know rear 60's had a lot of different spline count.

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

83 Chevy, 350, sm465, lincoln locked14ff, dana 60,4.56's, (sometime soon flatbed,and 39.5" TSL's)

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

First, the disclaimer. I'm not a LS expert but this is what I think I know.

Scooby is right, make sure you got a carrier that will work in the front. IIRC, many rear D60s had 16 spline axles. Also, the Power-lock is definitely THE BEST limited slip available by most counts. Closest thing to a locker without being a locker. Easier to turn that a locker too. However, it is NOT a locker. If you plan on carrying a front tire in the rocks or such, you might want to consider some sort of locker, although, many people run the PWs in the rocks and like them on light to medium rock rigs. Just depends on what you want out of it. $100 sounds like a pretty decent deal if it is in good shape but, if it needs a rebuild, it's probably not worth it in my opinion. Others here that have actually been pricing them can certainly give you a better idea about the value. Seems like someone on here had brand new in the box units for $250-300 or so, but it's been a while and that may not be right. You could search the For-Sale forum.

Me, I'm going front Detroit...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

7. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Here's a link to the service manual I scanned in: www.drivetraindirect.com they have the clutches and side gears. Going from front to rear will be from 30 splines to 35 splines so you will need to change the side gears. Also, if you read the service manaual spicer recommends fewer clutches in front applications(3 v. 5) not that you would have to follow their recomendations.

<a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/jims70gmc>My 70 GMC</a>

8. mountainexplorer

I'll be sure to check the number of splines. My front Dana 60 is from a 1987 1 ton, but I dont know what the rear 60 that the power lock came out of was from. I don't really plan on doing any rock crawling, more of just mud. Anyone know how steering is affected? I've heard that, say, if you line up to a mud pit and nail it, it's hard to control the steering in a straight line. Is that true? I suppose it's just a matter of getting used to it.

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The power loc and trac loc are different animals.
    This is what Reider Racing has to say about both:
    Power Loc-Durable four pinion gear design makes the Power-Lok one of the most positive, durable and aggressive limited slip units produced today.
    Trac Loc-This two pinion, clutch style L/S unit improves traction significantly over conventional open differential and is suitable for both front and rear applications at an economical price.
    I have a power loc in mine and it is setup pretty tight. It is difficult to steer but not impossible.
    You have to remember, these are limited slips and you can burn up the clutches, especially if one tire is off the ground and you keep on the throttle. I know the power loc can be rebuilt and set up as tight as you want.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo71>My K5 Stuff</a>

10. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the diagrams of the service manual Jim !

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I got Um! Power-Loc that is!
    Front and rear! I have a rear Dana60 35 spline &amp; Dana44 front!
    I think they are GREAT! The steering is a bit chirpy when turning on pavement but in the dirt just feels like 4wheeldrive...
    Like the other said the Dana Power-Loc is THE tightest posi out there, it acks like a locker until the torque become too great(one tire to the next) and then the cluches will alow it to slip. Alot of posi/LS units do the oposite, they act like an open until the wheel spin of one tire is way diferent than the other and with a tap of the break it is supose to apply the torque to the less spinning tire.....
    So far I have great traction......

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

another thanks for the manual!
    i would love an opportunity to do a side by side steering comparo with a front detroit vs powerlok
    theory:
    the detroit is more likely to unlock the outside wheel before the PL exceeds clutch breakaway

with any locked up vehicle tire condition become extremely important for winter ice/snow street driving, wide slicks are a bad idea.

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

13. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

how can you set up the power lock as tight as you want? I want to make mine as tight as I can.
    Thanks for the info,
    Mike

The jeep eater ......[​IMG]

14. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I would pull it apart according to the service manual Jim provided and check the number of friction (clutch) plates installed. The manual says to use no more than 3 clutch plates in the front. The more clutch plates you use, the tighter it will be. The manual shows up to 5 clutch plates.

15. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Mike,
    Off topic, but how did you get 360 horse from a 355 TBI motor?

16. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Chevy 350 bored 30 over, Iron heads with 202 intake, 1.6 ex 76 cc chambers, hypertechnic pistons for a compression ratio 10.5. Edelbrock performer manifold. Headers, with straight 2.25 pipes. Stage one chip. 268H series Comp cam.
    The TBI is the restrictive part of the set up but I'd rather have Fuel injection over a carb. The injectors have been replaced, but that didn't make much of a difference. I am hopefully going to be swapping cams soon enough to get the torque down to an RPM where it is more usable.
    Mike

The jeep eater ......[​IMG]

17. mountainexplorer

Thanks for the advice and info everyone. I'll probably go ahead and get it for $100 and run it and see how it does.