Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1BEATK5, Aug 28, 2006.

1. 1BEATK5

1BEATK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's not really the 60's fault. I recently took the 4 degree shims out from under my front springs, and replaced them with some 8 degree ones so my front driveshaft will fit a bit better. the problem is I have some "shaker built" spring plates that are 1/2" thick flat plates, and now I can't get the bolts into the pumpkin on the pass. side without some real effort. You can see that the bolts go in at a pretty good angle compared to the spring plate. when it finally went together I noticed that the bolts are now bent! so if i slot the plate where the bolts go threw it will that fix the problem, or does any body have a better solution.

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'd say drill a new hole in the plate for the center pin. One that allows the plate so sit more directly above the axle tube, so that the u-bolts can go into it more directly. I would be hesitant to slot the holes that the u-bolts go through, unless it was done just a little. So which part of Oregon are you in?

3. muddindirty

muddindirty Registered Member

I'd say get another shim and put it under the spring plate on top of the springs, that should correct all angles of misalignment. The shims should then be either welded(preferred) to the plate or bolted into spring pack with grade 8 bolts so they have no chance of popping out. I have this same problem and will be milling some angle shims to weld to the spring plate I made so I don't bend or shear off the two bolts in the housing. I will take pics hopefully this weekend if I can find the time on the milling machine to make the shims.

Dirty

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If you go to mcmastercarr.com you can get some leveling shims, they're on page 3078. You'll need to do a little trigonometry to figure out the angle you need though.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like you need some custom made u-bolt plates made by TONYP.

I've got a set of these made by him with 4 degrees milled into them. I know Pete (yunit) had some made by Tony with 8 degrees in them.

I don't know what happened to Tony as he used to frequent this site. I tried PM'ing him and even e-mailing him to have some more made but when he did reply and say he would make some for me, I never heard back from him again.

I'd like to know if someone can make some again, exactly like Tonys. These plates he made is all you need to correct the shims-and-D60 problems.

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You can't link directly to mcmastercarr. :doah: :D

8. 1BEATK5

1BEATK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for all of the imput. I think my buddy has an extra set of 8 degrees, so i'll probably just weld those to my spring plate.
    I live near beaverton, just look for the "white trash" sticker on the window.

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't feel safe welding anything to the bottoms of the plates and stacking them on the springs.

Heres a pic of the plates by TONYP I was talking about. Even though the pics show the top view, its the side view that really explains how these plates work. They are tapered to the desired degree you need. The pic here just happened to be some 8 degree plates Tony made.

99523362HTvSzm_ph.jpg

99523330RozjuN_ph.jpg