Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by barryb, Oct 6, 2004.

1. barryb

barryb Registered Member

this really should be 2 questions, i never can get the search deal to help me out for what im looking for.... is there a " search help/ how to use properly " page ??

anyway ....

my real question is , my friend is trying to sell me a front dana 60 out of a chysler ... best i can tell the perch mounts are slightly different in width... will it work? he said we can move the one to make it the same but is that right?? and if so will it be centered under the truck?

I would imagine this has been covered but -- any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I assume by Chrysler, you mean Dodge. And it has been covered here many times. Make sure it is one of the desireabe D60 axles with internal hubs. If so, you can tweak the springs in your chevy to make the center pins line up. No big deal. I think the total is about 3/4" difference.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

just spread the springs slightly dont move the perch

4. barryb

barryb Registered Member

yes dodge,

i have learned now that it was a dually front end and the width is really short, it has had the original wheel mounts machined off ....

i dont think im interested in having to run a wheel spacer in the front to get it to match up to the width of my rear fourteen bolt full floater

5. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

IIRC the 14b is still 3" thinner than a "proper" D60 so they may be equal.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Im running a dodge 60 and had to take the spacers off of my 14ff last might, they will match up as long as the rear axle is not the van width

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    he said we can move the one to make it the same but is that right?? and if so will it be centered under the truck?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No, you can't just move one of the perches over, it would not be centered. The pass side can't be moved since it's milled out of the diff housing, and relocating the other would cause it to be off center.

8. barryb

barryb Registered Member

thats what i was thinking , it wouldnt be centered. I looked at again today and the axle doesnt have the rotors on in , thats why i was thinking it was narrower ... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

are the extenal hubs a pin in the butt, because they are hangin out there to be broken? or is there another reason?

My truck is locked up at the store today , so im not sure what the width of the 4" tough country springs actually is - but i read that the chevy dana has 3" wide perches and the dodge is 2.5 Have any ideas if that will be a problem?

here what im looking at, that dana 60 sure looks small setting next to that dana 80.

thanks for help out here guys, im still on the new end of this deal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Kind of off your original question but You might want to know that you have a pretty cool Dana 60 - the inner "C's" are much thicker than standard Dana 60's ( or as best I can see in the photo's ) .
    It seems that Dodge used all kinds of parts durring the seveties and put OEM Dana 70 inner "C's" on some Dana 60's - I believe that I read that the Crane inner "C" is based off of that design.
    Anyway just thought you would like to know that you do have some cool parts on your 60.
    Tom