Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5 krawler 50, Jun 12, 2006.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Hey, I am in the process of building my dana 60 and 14ff. I'm on a budget so i was thinking about running the Powertrax lockright in my dana 60. However, i have a couple questions before i go ahead and buy all the stuff i need. First, what are everyone's thoughts about running a powertrax in a 60? Also i have a 4.10 and down carrier, since i'm on a budget i was thinking of buying the ring gear spacer from summit, but before i do that i was wondering what everyone thinks about running a ring gear spacer and the lockright? I'm i looking for trouble running this combo? I appreciate everyone's help and time.
    Cory

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

what kind of traction device are you doing for the rear? do a search, i think there was a pole bout what locker ppl run in d60s, it had lots of good info. personally, if you are only going to get the powertrax cuz its cheaper then jus wait to get the one you really want.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

If you get any "lunchbox" locker (like the powertrax), get an aussie locker. They are ~$230 and you could probably resell it for $150 and get what you want later. As for gears, just buy "thick" gears. They replace the need for the spacer you are talking about.

**EDIT**

One more thing, the inner workings of the lunchbox lockers are generally pretty decent. The real downfall is you keep the weak cast carrier.

4. muddybuddy

i dont think they make thick gears for chevy d60's, only ford 60's

5. 1977k5

Yeah, looks like that's true. Learn somethin' every day :bow:

6. muddybuddy

thats what this place is for ;)

7. k5 krawler 50

For the rear i'm putting in a detroit. I know the thread you are talking about, but main focus was running a "lunchbox locker" with a ring gear spacer? Does anyone see this as a bad idea? I appreciate the help.
    COry

8. 1977k5

They're not really related, so you should be able to run both no problem. Just make sure you install the locker before the ring gear because some lunchbox lockers interfere with the ring gear for assembly/disassembly.

9. k5 krawler 50

sorry for not making this more clear.. i meant is there more of a weakspot with the ring gear spacer and a locker combo? Does that help clearify what i'm trying to ask..:confused:. I appreciate all the help. Thanks.
    Cory

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ring gear spacers are not recommended. They space the ring gear out just far enough that it won't center properly on the carrier so you will have gear issues. I think Randy's Ring and Pinion talk about this on their website.

11. k5 krawler 50

awesome, i will have to check it out. If that is the case, could i use a 4.56 carrier that was set up with 30 spline guts, and use a 35 spline lockright? Sorry for the newb questions but all the help is appreciated.

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The cases are the same as far as 30 or 35 spline so i would say yes if you have all the 35 spline stuff you can install it in the case and be good to go.

13. k5 krawler 50

cool, cool.. i appreciate the help. Thanks.
    Cory

14. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Hmmm...ok, let's get this straight for everyone else who reads this. You are correct to a certain extent.

A D60 center section is a D60. It doesn't matter if it's Ford, Chevy, or Dodge.

Also, yes, they DO make thick gears for them to fit reverse rotation carriers. Those would be front axles (for instance the 4.10 and down carrier in the front D60 axle). For example, the part # for Yukon 4.56 gears for the 4.10 carrier is YG D60R-456R-T. The "R" stands for reverse rotation. That is ONLY in a front axle.

They DO NOT make thick gears for the D60 standard rotation (rear axle).

Ring gear spacers are a VERY BAD idea.

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If you are going to run anything larger than 35" tires. Stay away from the LR. Too weak for the full size rigs w/ larger tires. Also, they (Detroit) won't warranty it if oyu break it in a full size rig running anything bigger than 35" tires.

16. 1977k5

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but only Ford hi pinion axles use reverse cut gears. Chevy and Dodge use standard rotation gears just like a rear 60 (i.e. you could take gears from a rear 60 and put them in a front Chevy or Dodge 60, but not a Ford). The low pinion axles (Chevy and Dodge) basically put all the drive force on the coast side of the ring and pinion, making for weaker tooth contact. The Ford uses "reverse cut" gears which have the drive force on the correct drive side, making the Ford's reverse cut ring and pinion stronger. So, if everything I have said is correct, you cannot get thick gears for a front Chevy or Dodge 60, but you can for a Ford HP60.

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yep. You are correct. I have no idea where my head was at (I think it was very close proximity to my belly button though :doah: ) High/low pinion makes a definite difference. Also correct about the coast/drive side of the gears. I have been asking Yukon why they won't make a thick gear for the low pinion axle. Their answer.."because nobody has ever done it". It would be great if someone could explain to me why.:dunno:

Sorry for the bad case of cranial rectal inversion. My bad. For some reason, I kept thinking that I KNOW they make thick gears for the D60's, because we have installed them. Duh...they were all Fords :doah:

I have been considering getting a Ford HP60 and swapping the location of the center section. They got something right when they did that.

18. k5 krawler 50

Thanks for all the info.. i was planning on getting a detroit, but i just want to get my stuff under my rig and right now i dont have the coin for a detroit but i have some for a LockRight. I will running 44 tsl. So hopefully the LockRight will hold up for a while...thanks to everyone who helped out.

19. 1977k5

The biggest reason I suggested an Aussie locker over any of the other lunchbox lockers is because they have a better reputation and have a no tire size limit warranty (because the carrier will break before the locker). Unfortunately from looking on their website, it appears they don't make one for a dana 60 (they might, probably worth emailing them). I wouldn't expect any lunchbox locker to survive with 44's and if I was you I would either leave it open or weld it until you can get a real locker.