Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmc4cw, Jan 11, 2007.

1. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

does anyone make studs for the passenger side spring perch? Instead of using bolts to hold the spring plate down.

or what size are the bolts so I can do some searching. I could pull one out of mine but where I keep my truck is 35 minutes away.

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Yup!

Superlift, part 3418. U-Bolt Kit, Chevy 1 Ton 73-91 Front end.

Superlift Front End Kits

[​IMG]

Manny

3. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thread is 5/8-11 TPI but the length will depend on the thickness of your spring pack & spring plate

4. gmc4cw

is that definitely studs and not bolts? I don't need U-bolts, just 2 studs and 2 nuts. I get all my u-bolts made at a spring shop 20 minutes from my garage.

what the heck smiley is that antwyas?

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I know for certain that Blue Torch Fab (BTF) has kits with studs, because that's what I have. But kinda pricey IMO.

I was also able to find studs that are grade B7. They are full threaded 5/8-11. From what I understand B7 is slightly below grade 8, IIRC they don't do grade 8 in studs, but I could be wrong on that.

I have 2 of the B7 studs I could send for the cost of shipping if you're interested.

6. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

ORD sells them as well, the only thing is you have to buy all three u bolts too.

7. gmc4cw

got a pic? sound a lot like all thread rod, which I was under the impression was not the strongest.

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think it was Superlift that I bought the u-joint kit for when I swapped in the 60 that came with studs. They had the 5/8" course thread to go into the housing on one end, then the fine thread (same as the u-bolts) on the other end. The first problem was that they were way too long.....mainly that the unthreaded center section was too long and you couldn't get the top nuts tightened down. I guess the Superlift springs are really thick, because I had 5 leaf Skyjackers and probably still 1.5" away from tightening it up. I used a dye and rethreaded it down further to make them work.

In any case, both of those studs broke at different times around 5-6 wheeling trips later. No, they didn't break where I added the thread and they were always tight (checked them before every trip), they broke just inside the holes in the D60 housing (what a PITA). I replaced them with grade 8 bolts and have run probably 20 trips with no issues.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

For normal "all-thread" it is not the strongest but the B7 grade is the grade 8 equivalent for studs.

Ira

10. mrk5

I don't know if it'll help you much. I mean a stud basically looks like a threaded rod. :dunno:

[​IMG]

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

all the stock bolts i have removed have been grd 5 from the factory. and i dont run studs. i have run longer bolts on all mine with no problems.

12. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Who has studs that are longer than stock? I'm running zero rate blocks and need longer studs.

13. mrk5

I just installed the D60 u-bolt kit from Blue Torch Fab that has new studs. The studs are longer than stock. They were plenty long enough to fit a stock 52" leaf pack. They have the course threads on the bottom and fine threads on the top to match the u-bolts.