Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CadChevy, Jun 14, 2002.

1. CadChevy

CadChevy Registered Member

Got a deal on a Dana 60 for the front. The problem is that it is coming out of a dually truck. I have heard that you can change some stuff on the axle to make it work for a single rear axle set up. What are the modifications that are needed to make this work? Nicholas

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

you must have the dually hubs turned down and remove the outter "ring" where the dually wheel bolts on (local machine shop should be able to help you out.)

OR...

the easiest and cheapest way to go about it is to put an ad in the "parts wanted" forum. In the title just say "anyone wanna trade their single wheel D60 hubs for my dually hubs?"
    Or something like that. I'm sure you'll get someone who is willing to trade straight across. No hassle, and all you have to do is pay for shipping/forums/images/icons/cool.gif ALOT cheaper than having them turned down. If having them machined is your only option, pm me and I'll let you know exactly what to do if you have any more questions. Good luck!

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Dually front? I've never seen that, except for show trucks.

Could it be that the truck had dually REAR tires and the front was a normal D60? Maybe just different positions on the spring perches.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I will assume he means dually rear axle. The front D60 on the dually trucks are differant fron the knuckles out. This alows the use of the same type rim as on the rear. This type of D60 is therefore refered to as a "dually front"

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

hey cadchevy i just got mine done a couple weeks ago. all you gotta do is have the hubs machined down to SRW hubs. some folks here have had i done localy for around $100-$150, but i had mine done here http://www.wagonermachine.com/ they did a fawlking great job. they are a lil more $$$$ ($250 for the pair)than most but i feel that the quaity is worth. in addition to the machining they also installed a new wheel ring wich must local shops do not do. If you do chose to go with them give them a call and ask for Casey and tell him the cool box guy sent ya /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif OH btw if yer looking for a bolt on replacement you can get them at Boyce for $700 for the pair /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif. One last this on the rotors from the DRW 60 the holes where the wheel studs go, they will have to be enlaged a lil bit to accept the new SRW d60 wheel studs. this is what Casey sent me on this

"You will need to use single wheel studs Dorman part# 283. The hole needs to be drilled out to 43/64. Make sure the stud will drop through the new hole. If it is too tight, it may bust the rotor. Please let me know if you have anymore questions."

Casey

W.M.S.

i'll try to post some befor and after pics later this week /forums/images/icons/grin.gif