Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFrog, Jan 8, 2003.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I found a guy fairly close by that has a Dana60 and Dana70 with 5.88 gears from a Dodge M-715. He only wants $450 for the two axles. Would there be alot of changes that would need to be made to make it work? I'm also assuming they have drums up front?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's going to be a closed-knuckle 60 also. From what I hear they aren't nearly as strong as the later open knuckle design... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif </font color>

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

That Dana 70 is a good axle.

The Dana 60 from a Kaiser is going to be a closed knuckle, like Shaggy said.
    It uses the same axleshaft ujoints as a D44 (297-x superceded by 760-x) and is really no stronger than a Dana 44, where it counts.
    -- Mike

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Ok.. so no need to upgrade from my 10 bolt then.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

M-715's have not been made since the late '60s so they have lots of age on them and can make finding parts difficult. You can get a Detroit locker for the rear 70 and the install is basically the same as a 14-bolt FF. The axleshafts are rather course splined and probably not super strong. The rear 70 is also offset to the passenger side which could make a swap difficult. As already mentioned, the front will be a closed knuckle design with drum brakes. The front is also set up for a spring-under suspension. The final problem is the funky big 6-lug wheel bolt pattern so you would be stuck with either the stock skinny split rims with tubes, or custom rims. My personal opinion would be to not mess with them.

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Yea.. I already emailed him and told him I wasn't interested anymore.