Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Michk5, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Misawa Japan until December...moving to Wichita Ka
    Can anybody tell me if a dana 60 form a dodge will bolt right up into a chevy(k5) What exactly are the differences between the chevy and dodge 60? Why is it that everyone prefers the chevy 60? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifAny help on this would be appreciated as I in the market for a 60-Thanks Matt

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

dodge dana 60's have 1.5" wider spring perches. this is not a problem though, cause if u are running a lifted spring u can pull them out at the bottum 3/4". so it is bolt in. other differences are the spring plates are a different bolt pattern. u will have to run the dodge spring plates, again not a problem unless u were wanting to keep your sway bar. make sure it is not a 61 frt. they are more common in the dodges. also make sure the dodge frt is a internal locking hubs, some of the older ones were external. knuckles out most are the same as a chevy. only difference in the outers that i have seen is the spindle nuts. internally the only difference is the dodge inner axles are different lengths than the chevy.

hope that helps. i would run whatever i found 1st.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

the dodge perches are only 1/2" wider, the springs needs to be pushed out a 1/4" on each side.... Az-kickin offroad can make you some offset bushing for your springs that will push them out a 1/4 inch on each side.....

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    the dodge perches are only 1/2" wider, the springs needs to be pushed out a 1/4" on each side.... Az-kickin offroad can make you some offset bushing for your springs that will push them out a 1/4 inch on each side.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the above quote. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

o.k. so i stand corrected at 1/2"

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i was told the dodge d60 is also not as strong as the chevy.... i heard that cuz i was tryin to buy a 79 power wagon with a d60 front.. but now im gettin a 79 gmc k35 with a front d60 /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I dunno where that came from but i know that the axles on my dodge 60 do not neck down, the u joints are the same. The only time i broke anything was when i was wheelin with out the steering stops in, and took out a u joint and short shaft.. but that was obviously my bad and not the axles.....

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you were talking about an old Power Wagon w/ closed knuckles and small u-joints, that would be true. The open knuckle/disc brake era p/u D60s are the equivelent of the GMs of the same era.

9. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Misawa Japan until December...moving to Wichita Ka
    Thanks for the info guys--Matt