Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by merace19, Nov 9, 2003.

1. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

I have 2 dana 60s frontends One of them has a different hub on it. The 3 others have a smooth cone shape all the way to the locking hub. The other one had a ridge around it near the studs for the lug nuts. Any reason for this?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like a Dodge bearing hub. The Dodge version is more a straight body while the GM version is a tapered type. The GM tapers wider to the lugs. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I have 2 dana 60s frontends

[/ QUOTE ] How about sharing one? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

No, all my 60's taper up. Its just the one hub as a little ring where the rim sets on. But the other ones dont have that.

5. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

I not saying it could not be a dodge though. Seeing that it has a different locking hub also. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

Got any pics. It'll make it eaiser to tell.

7. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

Ok i went and looked at it. It is more straight than coned. And it has letters and numbers raised on it. Where on the other 3 they dont have anything. So i guess it is a Dodge.
    NEW question. Is it ok to have a dodge part on my Chevy? If so that makes me have more choices in the junkyard to look at. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes a dodge dana 60 will work on a chevy my dana 60 is a dodge dana 60 and has been great for 2 years now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif you just need a chevy steering arm and yoke and you need to spread the springs slightly apart

9. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

It looks like only the hub was used not the whole axle. So i guess a dodge hub will fit a chevy? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'm sure it most likely is a Dodge hub because they are more plentiful (internal design with non-tapering hub used from 89-93) and the different locking hub but GM did use that version for one year, 1991. My 91 crew cab has a hub like the one described (straight barrel with raised lettering and a step at the inner most point for the rim to rest on). This was the only year GM used it and all of them had this different design hub.

11. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    It looks like only the hub was used not the whole axle. So i guess a dodge hub will fit a chevy? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The spindles, stub axles and bearing hubs interchange between Dodge and Chevy. Dodge did use 2 design hubs but either will work on either axle. The spindles and stub axles share the same Dana parts #'s for Dodge and Chevy.

The Dodge rotors are thinner but the same diameter. I believe there is something different about the Dodge caliper bracket but I'm not sure. I would still think the Dodge bracket would interchange.

You might take a look at Billavista's D60 tech article on Pirate for other interchange and part number info if needed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif