Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 rear axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the general, Dec 31, 2004.

1. the general

the general Registered Member

is this axle a full-floater?and does it fit under my blazer?(i now GM 14 bold 10.5 is) but you can,t get an ARB locker for that axle and thats the locker i wanne have . any suggestions somebody?parts is a really dissaster in the Netherlands soo i will try and do this myself
    regards the general

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

ARB for the 14 bolt is going to be out in a matter of months.

The Dana 60 rear in most cases is going to be 30 spline.......very weak. You don't want that crap in your truck. Leave the 14 bolt and get the ARB for that....BOMBPROOF!

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I'm runnin a d60 rear full floater,w/35 spline hardened 1.5 in shafts and a spool. and I haven't managed to break it, and I've tried!:D

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

They came either way . I have seen 2 trucks with a Dana 60 rear , and jms owns one of them:xmas:

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I have a dana 60 FF rear that came stock under my GMC. It isn't very common in GM applications, but its very common in Ford, Dodge, and International pickups of the 70's.

The 60 sf came under some light duty GM trucks (there is a discussion about this over at 67-72 chevy trucks.com right now), some Mopar muscle cars, and some Jeep pickup trucks.

Very few 60 rears have 35 spline axles stock. If you want 14 bolt size and strength, go Dana 70.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

common under 72 older gm trucks, tons of them out there, 90% of them leaf spring and under gmc 2500 pickups
    seen more than i can remember
    they were 3.54, 4.10, and 4.56 gear under the gm trucks, and many were powrlok, you can get them for 100 each here, what i gave for the last one and it was 3.54 powrlok from a 67 2500 pickup, i know where 4 or 5 more are right now, but yeah most are not 35 spline, cept under a few applications

if you want axle load ratings and other info on these for gm trucks then lemme know and ill dig it up

good luck

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

To get one with the correct spring pads already on it for your 73-91 K5 you would want a Dana 60 FF rear from a 1963-72 GMC, 3/4 ton, 2wd. You will still need to move/replace the shock mounts but that part is easy.

8. NJBLZ

NJBLZ 1/2 ton status

new guy question

hi Tim, what is the toughest rear, a 14 bolt? whats the second toughest, a D60?

here's another question, what rear came in the front of 80's 3/4 ton GM trucks? The ones I've seen look like corp. 10 bolts but have 8 lugs. I was under the impression that 10 bolts only came with 6 lugs.