Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 rear info...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun89, Oct 28, 2005.

1. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, how does the Dana 60 rear compare to a 10, 12, 14 bolt? i am pickin one up thats all set up the way i want alreayd w/ gears/locker.. so just wondering what do you guys think of them?

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Well, the 60 is much stronger than the 10 & 12. The 14BFF is a little stronger than the 60 though. The 60 should have a bit more more ground clearance, and should have a better range of low gear options. I *think* the 60 should have more options for traction aids, but since yours has a locker it shouldn't be much of an issue.

One thing about 60 rears is that they have several different spline versions out there. Some good, some not so great. I have not done my homework on them to be real specific. I had one that was given to me, and sold it, even though it had one of the better spline counts.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

What size tire is going to be run on this? How cheap can you get it and what is included? FF or SF? 30 or 35 spline? Disc or drum brakes? If it isn't from a Chevy, it won't bolt up (you will have to move spring perches and relocate shock mounts).

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

D60 Rear Axle

Well, most everyone on this board has a severe case of 14bFF fever and so you may hear that a 60 rear is a bad choice.

But I have been running a 60 FF of the 30 spline flavor in the back of my BB powered FunBuggy without incident for a couple of years now.
    [​IMG]

Probably the thing you gotta look out for is what spline count you end up w/. Obviously you'd want the 35 spline, but they're not that common. The 30 spline would be inferior to a 14bFF, and can take some work to be converted to 35 spline - but in my case has worked fine! And finally, I've seen some older 16 spline versions, that wouldn't be worth messing w/ at all......

Good Luck!

Marv

5. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

also the d60 doesn't have a 3rd support bearing for the pinion.

6. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

hey thanks guys for the info. i got it this morning for 400bucks w/ detroit in it and spring perches/shock mount welded in the right spot to begin with and the gearing i already want. I was looking at atleast 600dollars to get my 14 bolt going w/ out a locker.. so this to me was def. a better deal. thanks for the info though!

7. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

ya, that's sounds like a pretty good deal.