Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 rear swap???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dUb, Feb 25, 2006.

1. dUb

dUb Newbie

Hi i'm a total newbie @ this but I was just wondering if its possible (or worthwhile) to swap out my 12 bolt for a Ford Dana 60ff rear axle...would it be easier and or more benificial to go with a 14bolt?? Also what is the benifit of having full floating axle?? While i'm doing the rear just curious if you think I should stay with the 8 bolts or swap it to a 6 bolt hub to match the front Dana 44 or should I try and find a front dana 60...if I dont find a front D60 should I build the 44 up and use an 8 bolt kit there? The truck is a 73 jimmy that i hope to eventually mount 37s onto.
    Oh ya I'm on a budget too.:p: :p:

Thanks
    Winston
    Vancouver BC CANADA

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A 14-bolt from a 3/4-ton Chev is a bolt-in.

The Ford D60 needs the spring perches cut/moved/rewelded.

Find the axle you want with the correct ratio ;)

Full-floating axle shafts only transmit torque to the wheel, the hub & housing support the vehicle weight.

IMO move up to 8-lug. Front can be converted with factory parts. Converting full-floaters and D60 fronts to 6-lug later on costs $$$.

3. dUb

dUb Newbie

thanks for the info...I think i've seen you on bc4x4 before are you in the lower mainland?

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Yup... I'm on a few boards :whistle:

I'm in Coquitlam... if I get my junk put back together I might even see you on the trails. :doah: