Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 rear worth the trouble, should I wait for a 14bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by moturbopar, Aug 24, 2005.

1. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Hi all I have a chance to get a free dana 60 rear axle . It has some kinda locker in the rear and has 4.56 gears. do you think this would be a worth it to swap this in my blazer? or should I just keep an eye out for a good 14bolt?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Wait for the 14 bolt.

The D60 rear is too weak as it does not have near the same spline count as a 14FF. D60 rears had a few different numbers of splines on them, so its not worth it. Most common spline count on the D60 rears is something like 16 splines but don't quote me on that. Thats a far cry from the 14FF with 30 splines.

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i know the D60 rear was used in alot of cars especially the older dodge muscle cars...there are plenty of 14bff around. just look around...

4. moturbopar

thanks guys, this d 60 has 35 spline axles. its from a 78 dodge with some kinds snow movers package. whatever that means. I have found a couple 14 bolts but they all have 3.73 or so gears. They are cheap though around $100 which is usually less than the 12bolts are selling for.

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

that D60 has 30 spline shafts, not 35.

i think it sounds like a good deal, since it has 4.56 and (most likely) a power-lock posi. you have to remember that 14 bolts are alot heavier and are physically larger, and have less ground clearance...i'd factor this in before such things as axle spline count, because this is the real world.

you'll probably have to move your leaf perches, though.

6. moturbopar

The axle for sure has 35 splines, must be aftermarket?. There is about 1.5" difference in perches so they would have to be moved.

7. moturbopar

just looked up the numbers on the diff!!! looks to be a detroit locker # 225sl-29a for 35 spline.
    somebody must have spent some $$$ on this axle.

8. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd get it if it were free. Thats D60 4.56 gears and a 35spline detroit. Instant cash.

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Grab It....

10. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

you're right, someone did spend some dough on that axle. i'd for sure grab it now, that is a ridiculously good deal.

11. moturbopar

I told the guy about whats in it, and he didnt care! he said all I have to do is help him haul off the old truck and its mine and whatever other parts I want off of it. maybe I should check out the front end on it. I think its only a dana 44 though. I guess even if it was a 60 it would be a pain in the but swap into my truck though. heck I should check it out for good parts though.

12. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dude the dodge D60 is as easily swapped in as a GMD60. Sounds like you've found the deal of a life time. If its dodge I'd get both.

13. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

FYI the 35 spline D 60 could be had in a couple of Dodge trucks and if it was orginally a 31 spline somebody really spent the bucks on it I say keep the 60 and definately take a look. If it was the plow package that you said ( don't remember what it was called) I used to work for a guy who had one and it had a 60 front

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Grab both axles, Dodge axles can fit GM without much work, and you get matching gears that way too.