Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Rear, yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr.smartass, Apr 10, 2005.

1. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

i found an ad for a Dana 60 rear axle for sale for hella cheap in the paper today, no other information, just that it's a dana 60 rear end and it's cheap and in good condition, i'm going to call tomorrow to find out the info on it, i just want to know if they're worth the trouble to deal with since i can't find a 14bff right now, and also when i call what all should i ask??? i mean what kind of truck it came out from under, was the truck running, what else?? need suggestions please. thanks in advance.

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

see what gear ratio it has, and if its a FF or not. you'll probly have to redo the brakelines, driveline, ebrake hookup, spring and shock mounts. i think i'd hold out for a 14b.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Why is it being so hard too find a 14 bolt ?? I thought they were comman.

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

If we were going to count the #'s of each made, there are probably 2-3 times more rear dana 60's than 14 bolts in existence. Dana 60's came under everything...GM, Ford, Dodge, IH, Jeep, and Studebaker trucks. Even in SF versions under some Mopar cars.

If its good and cheap (under $100), I'd spring for it.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ford and dodge yes lkots of 60 rears, but gm no, only under the old ones 72 older, and not very often

they were 3.54 ratio mainly and they were POWRLOK(gm ones anyways)

otherwise trak lok under jeeps and such

you still see tons more 14 FF than 60 rears

period,

even with all the fords and dodges,

at least here anyways in the midwest
    just no where as many ford 3/4's as chevy 3/4's and 1 tons

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I DD a 70' 3/4 ton lb custom camper, factory rear axle is a d60 ff with 4.56 gear. do you know if its a open carrier? i know its a pegleg cause it will only spin 1 tire.

7. mr.smartass

like i said i'm gonna call today and find out, the only 14bff i have found around here was on a blazer chassis with a 10bolt front and the guy wanted $500 for the whole thing and wouldn't just sell me the axle, this guy is asking $99 for this dana 60 rear, if it's FF with 4.10 or lower i'll probably snatch it up but besides that i guess i'll leave it alone unless someone has any other ideas.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think you are wrong. I'd have to agree that in the total numbers there are more 60s out there than 14 bolts. I know I see more of them and consider how much Dodge and Ford used them for how many years. And no one said GM used them a lot, just that they did.

I'm heavily considering making a 60 with 14 bolt spindles for the bigger bore on the spindles and better ground clearance.

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Find out what it came out of and what the BOM # is. You can use a rear 60 but there are some that will cost too much to retro into a GM. If you find out the BOM I can decode it for you.

10. mr.smartass

had to go into work early today and didn't get to call, where would this BOM# be located on the axle?? and is the ground clearance better than a 14bff? i'll only be running 35-38" tires.

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ground clearance way better the BOM is on the right axle tube when looking at the axle from the rear. You will need a wire brush as it is stamped into the tube. If its a Furd it will start with like a 603XXX or along those lines.