Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Rear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Feb 18, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Is a 30 spline Dana 60 really that bad or is it just not as premium as a 35 spline rear. And also if putting a Detroit in can you not use a 35 spline locker and use after market axles or would it not be cost effective. I know 14BFF are cheap but I kinda like the clearance of the 60. Just questions trying to straighten things out on paper so I know how much to set aside. Thanks.

2. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

my GMC came stock with one...it has held up to some moderate abuse offroad with 32" tires, and hauling some hefty loads. it does pretty good. you can use the 35 spline carrier but your spindles might not be big enough to let the 35 spline shafts through. another thing to remember, is that a detroit for a 60 will be more expensive because it replaces the entire carrier. but the weight and clearance savings over a 14 bolt are nice.

3. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am assuming that you are putting this under a fullsize.

The D60 in a rear app. is good just takes more money to make it good than the 14b. I have a buddy that runs a D60 in the rear of his fullsize buggy/truggy. I have seen him break both axle shafts that were cool guy aftermarket shafts. He is only running the 30 spline stuff right now but is looking into either 35 spline or going to a 14b. He claims that he can snap stock 30 spline shafts almost at will.

The 14b can be shaved about 3/4 inch easy and cheap. Then all you need is a locker and you are set since the stock shafts are very strong.

Hope this helps

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have seen some pictures of "extreme" shaving where they cut the bottom of the case of and replated with 1/2" plate it made the bottom completely flat but then you have to get a custom cover. I could get a DIY Kit for the ring but would have to modify for the flat bottom. Also do you have to preheat the case before welding like cast iron or can you just weld it. I agree 14 bolt is cheaper and easier. I just here a lot of negative about rear 60 strength in full size.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The Dana 60 rear axle can be decent depending on exactly what application it's in. A good friend of mine ran an even weaker 16-spline version in his '78 F-250 with a welded diff, big block, and 38's for several years with no issues. He was going to upgrade to 35-spline shafts but after spending a couple evenings struggling to get the spindles bored (big PITA) he just went to a Dana 70.

Clearance wise, I had a 14FF with the average shave job (got rid of the big lip and smoothed out the bottom......nothing drastic) with the exact same tires and never had situations where I got hung up on the diff and he didn't with the rear 60.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Actually Kert(DIY4x) already sells a cover ring that has extra material in the middle for shaved 14FF. I have the first one( well one of the first batch of 3)....

[​IMG]

Kert is great to deal with! :thumb:

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That is sweet. I did not realize you had to bore spindles. I thought 35 splines would fit. I guess another reason to go 14B.