Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Rear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, Aug 2, 2000.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hello all,

I know this has probably been talked to death, but.......

Are there any strength differences between a Rear 1ton Dana 60 and a FF 14bolt?

Also, the 60 came out of a 1 ton Ford, what probelms will I have with mounting(other than shocks mounts and spring pads since I will be putting new ones on)

And the pumpkin for the 60 is smaller than the FF14 right?

Thanks

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

go to http://www.dynatrac.com They explain the differences pretty good.

DON'T BUY NOTHING THERE!!! but they do explain stuff.

Kyle
    89K5

3. Emmettology 101

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I'm in the procces of putting in a Dana 60 from a 1 ton Ford. Yes you do have to move the spring pads and shock mounts but that isn't difficult. The ring gear on the 60 is 9 3/4 (i think) and the 14 ff is 10.5 so there is a minor strength difference. What the 60 lacks in ring gear strength it makes up for in slightly less weight and more ground clearance. What year is your 60 from? Pre-75s had 16 spline shafts which of course, mine does [​IMG], but it's easily converted to 35 spline by using a 35 spline carrier, carrier bearings, and shafts. This gives you a chance to upgrade the shafts. Other advantages of the 60 include more locker choices, and the ability to run gears lower than 5.13 (good if you want 44s and a little grunt too). I'll be putting a Powerlock in mine along with TSM disks and (since I have to have them made anyway) mabye some alloy shafts. Here's mine

[​IMG]

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue>Updated!</font color=blue>

5. Emmettology 101

I haven't bought one yet, but I found one for $50 and I am going to snatch it up if it is still there. I am not sure what year it is though.
    So if pre-75 has 16spline count, does the 76+ have a 35 spline count?

Also I was contimplating doing a cheap disc brake swap by using GM front backing pltes and front calipers. What do you think?

Thanks

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I believe the later models only had 30-spline shafts, which are about the same size as Dana 44 shafts....however, even if the actual shafts are the same size as the 44, they will be stronger because of the full floating configuration.
    The f.f. 14 bolt should have a substantial advantage in overall strength, but the 60 should be quite sufficient in all but the most extreme applications.

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

biggray71
    This sounds like an ideal tech article - hint hint [​IMG]

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

8. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Almost all Dana 60 FF are 30 spline or 16 spline. I believe only 35 spline ff Dana 60 came in the Ford High Boys if I remember correctly. Also I don't now that you can put 35 spline axles into a 30 spline because the I.D. on the spindle is to small. You might be able to bore it to get them in. Put some 14 bolt spindles onto a Dana 60 and you will have one awesome setup.

Donovan

9. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>Most 76+ 60s are 30 spline, but I think dodge used a few 35 spline axles (?). Thats a good idea using the backing plates on the rear. I also happen to have a 3/4 ton frontend from bablazer73 that I'm going to tear apart tomorow to put new rotors on. I already have the backing plates off the 60 so I'll tell you if they work. Find out what year this axle is, if the R&P is good, and the bearings in the hub are good, its a good deal if it's over 75 (or 72 if you don't mind converting to 35 spline). The TSM caliper brackets are from 72-79 so I don't know how to do disks on a pre-72. If it's in good shape then $50 is good. I (over [​IMG]) paid $400 for mine. Does anyone know where I can get replacement shafts if I decide alloys are out of my budget? Hey Steve, I'll be happy to do a tech article when I'm done. I'll let you know when it's all finished.</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue>Updated!</font color=blue>

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have a Dana60 SF in my rig, it has a Powerlock in it and it does a great job of keepin both wheels turning and has great pavment manners! I tested it again just the other day I had one tire in dirt and the other on pavement. Got on the gas tring to spin the tire in the dirt only! The results were both tires barily broke free, the dirt side did look like a little more spin than the pavement side, but not much!
    The axels I have are made by http://www.markwilliams.com and are 35 spline and 1 3/4 in diamiter, they are the Hi-Tork modle from MW, oh ya and 6lug too![​IMG]
    you can kinda seeit on one pic on my site listed bellow!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

35 spline axleshafts are 1 1/2". 1 3/4" shafts have 40 splines. I know, I have both versions in SF 60 rears in my Jeep CJs. Dana 60 FF rears are all 30 spline, which is the same as a Dana 44. 35 spline shafts will not fit thru FF Dana 60 spindles. Go 14 bolt, cheaper, and the shafts are ALREADY 1 1/2"x30 spline. 14 bolts can be had for $100 complete. Good luck!

ken

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmmm,at the slpine itself may be 1 1/2 but the MW axels taper into a larger diamiter as it goes tward the wheel.
    I have a spare axel, i'll have to measure it agin, been a couple yrs sence i did that and for some reason 1 3/4 is stuck in my brain as the size, hmmmm, ohwell. It's still a big damn axel!![​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

13. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I measured the inside of the spindle as best as I could with a tape measure and it looked to be about 1 1/2" inside. If the shafts do not fit, can the spindles be removed from the housing? The machine shop that built my motor also builds axles so they could bore it out for me.

The backing plates fromt my 8 lug dana 44 didn't match up to the dana 60 housing end, so I'll be getting the TSM brackets.</font color=blue>

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Actually the axle diameter for the FF 14 bolt is 1 9/16" not 1 1/2". I'm sure the extra 1/16" is just for bragging rights though <G>

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

15. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    I would go with the 14bolt myself, they themselves and spare parts. are easy to find, and inexpensive![​IMG]
    If I am not mistaken a Detroit locker for the 14bolt is around $200 cheaper than the D60.

16. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Your Dana 60 axles from MW is probably 1 1/2" 35 spline and the bearing on the end is a 45mm special bearing that Mark has. The 45mm is 1.771 OD. The are some beef axles. My brother worked there for 5 years and I know his stuff pretty well and it is the best money can buy in my opinnion. If you think MW is to pricy then my next choice would be Dutchman Axles out of Oregon.

Donovan

17. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I don't think that 30 spline axles will fit in my spindle. Since the carrier, carrier bearings and shafts have to be changed, will 30 spline stuff work? Does Dynatrac have an email? If it cannot be converted, where can i sell this thing? All it needs is some brake parts and its ready to go back in a Ford.</font color=blue>