Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 rear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by raelayotte, Feb 24, 2003.

1. raelayotte

raelayotte Registered Member

can someone tell me if a rear dana 60 is worth putting in my blazer. to work with 37 13 16.5 boggers will it hold up <font color="blue"> </font> /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="blue"> </font>

2. One_Ton_k5

One_Ton_k5 1/2 ton status

In my opinion, only if you want an ARB or other selectable locker. For the money you will spend making a 60 rear as tough , you may as well go with the 14 bolt full floater.

The 60 is a nice axle but I have friends who can break them at will in stock form.

Hope that helps.

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I've got a dana 60ff for the rear of my 83 although it's not in yet I'm going to just be running 35's maybe 37's, And I've been told that I should be fine, The guy I bought the 60 from was running 39in swampers and he did brake some axels and now has gone to a 14b.

Eric

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

With a Dana 60, you get about the same housing and axle bearing strength as the 14FF. It has a smaller ring gear, but improved ground clearance. It does have a smaller axle diameter though... 1.31" vs. 1.5" on the 14FF.

A D60 should hold up to those tires. Usually the ARB is the reason people use the Dana. 14FF's are often so cheap (and are a bolt-in) that isn't not worth the cost/effort to move spring perches on the D60.