Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 rearend question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silverado_K5, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Silverado_K5

Silverado_K5 1/2 ton status

I've got an 87 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup with '83 3/4 ton axles in it with the 13" brakes on the rearend, and the rearend is a SF Dana 60. I cannnot hook up the parking brake cables to the rearend because the setup is different where the cables hook onto the backing plate. My question is, will '87 backing plates from a Dana 60 fit the '83 Dana 60? Is it a direct fit with no mods? I need to know this ASAP so I can get the parking brake working before it snows here. Your help is much appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Doug

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

wont be dana 60, dana 60 were full floaters and were used 72 and older some 3/4 tons and soem 80s duallies and SF 60's were used under some classic mopar musclecars, you will have a 14 bolt SF if its an 8 lug SF axle and is a truck

how many bolts are around the diff cover of the axle ?

3. Silverado_K5

Silverado_K5 1/2 ton status

Well,

I was just going by what the guy I bought the truck from said. It has 14 bolts on the rearend and it doesn't have the full floater axles. I know my 1/2 ton axles, but I've never had 3/4 ton axles in a 4x4 until this one. The rearends are from an '83 diesel chevy 3/4 4x4 pickup. I just need to know if the backing plates from an '87 will directly bolt onto the '83 rearend using the same brake shoes and hardware. It has the 13" brakes on the rearend, if you need that info.

Thanks,
    Doug

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If the flange has the same pattern (it should) then you can swap the backing plates. Wether or not this will let you hook up the 1/2 ton brakes I don't know.

FYI: Dana axles have 10 bolts on the diff cover.

5. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Dana60 partnumber question: I've installed a full floater out of an early 70s Intl SRW 1 ton crew cab. I cant find an original style spindle nut retainer. I can get the generic thin sheet metal type at Maintenance America. The original Dana retainer is real beefy. I have tried several dealers Mopar, Ford, Intl and the ones they offer me have a larger center hole. No ID tag on axle. thanks