Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 rebuild ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hardcore, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Allright, I've read the writeup on Offroad.com for the potent rodent and I've got some questions. In the rebuild they talk about taking out the gears/carrier and they replace the seal. The article doesn't talk about putting it back together. I'm starting the tearing down of my axle and would like to change the seals and bearings if possible. I don't want to have to reset the gears though. Can the carrier be put back into position like a 14 bolts or will I have to check the wear pattern and set everything? I'd like to do it all myself but if its a big pain I'll wait till I get 5.13's and have the shop change the seals.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

just dont touch the pinion.

3. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    just dont touch the pinion.

[/ QUOTE ]Yea, I took my D60 completely apart, but I left the pinion/yoke in it. I don't ever want to mess with that stuff, unless I've gotta.

4. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

So I can pull the carrier out (keeping the shims in the correct order/side) and be able to drop it back in and everything will line back up?

Can I change the carrier bearings or will that screw up the settings? I'm looking at getting one of the $100 rebuild kits and change out as many parts as possible to new shiny stuff /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

On D60's the carrier bearing shims are under the carrier bearings. Also you don't have to worry about a crush sleeve on D60's either as they use shims under the inner pinion bearing race and under the outer pinion bearing.

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Hardcore, go to this link. www.ringpinion.com
    there is alot of printable information here, on set up's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

So, should I buy a complete D60 overhaul kit and replace the carrier bearings and all the seals. I'll hold on to the pinion bearings and seals until I'm ready to step up to 5.13's

8. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif