Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyburbn, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Kyburbn

Kyburbn Registered Member

How much will it cost to rebuild a Single wheel Dana 60 front? Saying that the ring and pinion don't have to be touched, the rotors are good, but it has been sitting for a couple of years out in the elements.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i can get you a rebuild kit for 194 plus shipping. it includes carrier bearings and races, pinion bearings and races, pinion seals, pinion nut, gear marking compound, rtv sealant, pinion and carrier shims, and ring gear bolts

3. Kyburbn

The gears look like they are brand new, bearings and all so I may leave them alone. I will swap out the brake calipers, pads, outer-hub bearings, TRE's if needed, turn the rotors to take rust off of, wheel-joints, and king pin rebuild.

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

dont remeber in detail but for an example

calipers were no more than $20 a side (w/ core)
    rotors about $25
    outer bearings ~$20
    king pim rebuild--see ORD (best prices i have found)
    u joints call Randys--i "THINK" they were ~$20 a side
    TRE's I dont know, went w/ heims.
    hope this helps

5. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Can anyone recommend a side bearing puller tool for a Dana 60? Randy's R&P sells them, also Snappy and Matco. Sears has a stout looking puller with a lock bar on it.

I have pulled diff side bearings using a wedge clamp and a hydraulic press, but not the best way...

6. Kyburbn

Does Autozone have one you can rent/borrow? I have found a ton of specialty parts their theat I paid a deposit on to borrow.

7. Kyburbn

That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm hoping to rebuild the one I have over the next few months and then I still have to get me a cheap 14 bolt with 4:56's too.

8. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Nope. AutoZone does not have one here. I'd also like to use a case spreader this time. It is possible to reinsert the carrier w/o a spreader (like I did) but I doubt that I have proper side bearing preload.

9. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Side bearing puller? wtf is that. I know I didn't need one.

I spent about 300-350 at carquest for ujoints, seals, bearings, races, rotors & loaded calipers.
    I spent about 50 for both sides of kingpin rebuilds at Randy's R&P, I think they're the cheapest place.
    15 bucks to get the spiders welded
    And about 15 bucks on rust treatment and rattle can paint =)

10. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

King pin rebuild kit:
    $89.95+shipping, both sides
    Parts Mike

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Nope. AutoZone does not have one here. I'd also like to use a case spreader this time. It is possible to reinsert the carrier w/o a spreader (like I did) but I doubt that I have proper side bearing preload.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not having seen one with my own eyes (just in pictures), how does a case spreader work?

12. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Case spreaders are a WONDERFUL tool to own if you do a lot of diff. work . Mine is made by OTC or Miller ( can't remember ) and fits Dana 30's through 80's .
    They work by using inserts that go in the nodular case ( there are casted holes on each side of the diff cover ) and puts outward tention on the housing when the adjusting screww is turned on the case spreader .
    This realeases the tention ( or pre-load )on the diff bearings and allows the carrier to be purswaded out of the housing . Note: you can only open the housing up around .015 or .020 before damage can occur - so be careful .
    For diff . work my case spreader is one of my most valuable tools - along with my press . Once you use one you will never not use one again . It is needed to gain propper pre-load everytime .
    Good luck , Tom