Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 set up help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JpEater, Sep 9, 2006.

1. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

I have a Dana 60 front with a 4.10 gear and open carrier. I ordered an E-Locker to fit. The box said 4.10 and down on it. My problem is that the ring gear hits the pinion so the carrier won't go in. I put a bearing and race on the RG side of the carrier and put a straight edge on the race and measured to the RG mounting surface of each carrier. On the open carrier it is 2 1/4 inches and on the E locker it is 2 3/8. THat is putting my ring gear 1/8" too close to the pinion. How can I figure out if I have the wrong E-Locker or not because it appears as it is wrong. The only number engraged on the locker is 04A251-002. THanks

2. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

The difference in carriers is .100" so you have the wrong one.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Are you sure the ring gear is seated all the way on the locker?

4. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

Yep the ring gear is seated good. Can I buy a 4.10 gear to fit this carrier? I am trying to get this and many other things done to make it to Blazer Bash so I don't have enough time to try to send it back and get another.

5. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Nope, you can get thick gears for the high numerical carrier but not thin gears for the low numerical carrier

6. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

So clarify this for me please... If I have the thick version E-Locker does that mean that it is for 4.56 and numericaly up gears?

7. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Yes sir. When the pinion gets tinny on the "lower" (numerically higher) gears they move the ring gear mounting flange .100 closser to the pinion so that the ring gear isn't 3" thick and weighing 20#s. You can get thick cut gears that are that extra .100" to run say 5.13s on a 4.10 and taller (numerically lower) carrier but you cant fit a 4.10 set on the carrier that is .100 closer to the pinion cause their is not room.

8. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help.