Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 shaft question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tomseviltwin, Jun 26, 2002.

1. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I took my axle shafts to 6 states today to get the ujoints pressed in and the guy pointed out to me that they had grooves worn into them where the tube seals contact them. He said it was wear and the shafts would have to be replaced because they will leak. The worn part looks fairly smooth, but is slightly indented at the contact spots. I had him press in ujoints anyway because I cant afford new shafts right now.

Is his info correct? Would new seals work, or is it a futile attempt without new shafts?

thanks

tom

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It is possible for the contact area to develope a groove over time. Is it a problem? I would say that's a judgement call based on the lack or presence of any oil leakage into the dry section of the axle tubes.

Another factor would be the type of wheeling you do. If you're primarily in dry areas (like rock crawling) this probably wouldn't be a problem if the leak wasn't heavy. However, if you were in an area, like where I live, where the majority of the wheeling is mud and water leaky axle seals are just asking for problems.

Something to think about, I've never tried it on a front axle but I know on some rear axles it is possible to install the seal in a slightly different position, that will place the seal lip on a "fresh" portion of the axle shaft.

3. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

OK

Thanks for the perspective. The "dry section to the long tube had alot of crap in it. I guess this answers the question that it is leaking. I'm gonna try a new seal and see if it helps or at least holds me over to when I can afford new ones. I'm thinking that the Boyce route would have been cheaper. I guess the consolation is that I'm learning how to do this stuff. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

tom