Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 spring perch bolt question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Oct 27, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You know hwo two bolts thread into the dana 60 housing instead of using a ubolt?
    I need longer bolts. I only have Procomp 6" lift springs, but I guess they're thicker.
    Should I buy them from 4WPW or just go to the hardward store? Gr 5 or gr 8? I'd imagine gr 8 for the shearing strength.
    And what do I torque those to? The idea of stripping the threads in my housing is unpleasant. SHould I use some loctite?
    -- Mike

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Go to the hardware store and buy some grade 8 bolts, don't use loctite.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> On a related note, what is the thread size of them there bolts? </font color>

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Get some grade 8's, and they are a 5/8" bolt in coarse thread. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if you used studs and thread them to the bottom of the holes you will not pull the threads from the casting.
    why use bolts?

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i agree with mj use some grade 8 studes not bolts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I know spring dimensions will have some effect on your answer but, in general what length bolts or studs should be used?

8. thatK30guy

I forgot about studs. These would be the absolute best stuff to use instead of bolts.

Like m_j said, use studs to have them thread all the way down into the holes and they will be stronger than bolts.

The length to use will depend entirely up to the spring pack thickness, whether you are using ORD zero-rates, etc. etc.

Best to get the springs on the truck and sitting on the axles and then measure for the length of studs/bolts you need. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Anybody have a good source for grade 8 studs and maybe some staked nuts for them? </font color>

10. thatK30guy

Superlift has them. They are about the only aftermarket lift company I know of that has and sells them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, I called Superlift, they have a kit that has studs and u-bolts, but it won't work with the zero rates that are going into my truck. I know that someone posted the name of a big industrial supplier along the lines of Grainger or McMaster-Carr awhile back, but these guys had alot more fasteners. I think it may have been Rene that posted it. Anybody? Beuller? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif </font color>

12. thatK30guy

What do you mean they won't work with the zero-rates? Not long enough studs? They sure seem long enough to me as I've seen a few pics of them on D60's and there were ample threads sticking above the nuts that showed enough room for the zero-rates to fit in perfectly.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I dunno, I called Superlift and the guy said that they wouldn't work. Will, it's really no matter now anyways, since it seems that one of the holes on my D60 was stripped at some point and was tapped to 3/4". So, now I need to find a 3/4" stud... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif </font color>

14. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

15. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Any idea what to torque them to?
    -- Mike