Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 spring plate drawings.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Jul 26, 2002.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm trying to fab a set of spring plates for a dana 60 but I need specs on then to where to poke the holes,LOL.

no sway bar in this application so I only need the pacement of the holes.

TIA

-Jeremy

2. Parf

Parf Registered Member

Sorry, not what you want, but.....

GM Part Numbers
    Left and right spring plates available from GMpartsdirect.com

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

If it was mine I would go that route, but these are for a friend.

-Jeremy

4. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Jeremy, What measurements are you looking for? Do you want the X/Y coordinates of the holes and hole size? I have a set that I can measure but I need to know what you want.

5. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Registered Member

I just received a new set from GM and I can trace them for you if you would like. I need to prime them anyways, so sending you the paper from under them is no problem (overspray tracing). If you want them PM me your address.
    Mike

6. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Jeremy, My mistake, I did not have the D60 plates but I did have the U bolts which I measured. They are .625 Diameter and 3 are 3.750 center line to center line and the 4th is 4.425 center line to center line. Hope this helps.

7. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Registered Member

Four U-bolts /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

The Dana 60 front only uses three U-bolts and two bolts. If you have four I'm not sure where they came from.

8. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Mike, The 4th U bolt has a larger radius that allows it to clamp around the differential housing thus the longer center line distance.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so what are you using for spring plates? custom?

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the measurement i need is centerline to centerline.

4 u bolts?? thats a 44 or 10 bolt.
    60's have 3 u bolts and 2 studs/bolts.

11. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Jeremy & MJ, The measurements that I supplied above are for the "new U bolts" that HD Dave supplied with the Ford D60 axel that I bought from him. I thought that I also had the spring plates but did not so from what you guys are saying I guess I will be making custom spring plates. Maybe the "Ford Center Section" is different from GM but he supplied a U bolt that had a larger (1.90" radius) inside, I just measured the center section casting where the U bolt goes arount and it measures 3.900" diameter so it would be better if the large U bolt was 4.525 centerline to centerline. With all of this in mind, tell me how you guys are using the two bolts? Do the bolts screw into the casting or do you use a strap across the bottom of the casting?

12. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

MJ, Please read the post above to Jeremy. The Ford D60 center section axel that I bought from HD Dave is apparently different from the GM center section. It does appear that the larger U bolt is intended to go aroung the center section casting and I do not know if this is different from a GM axel. The rest of the axel was built from GM parts but I wanted the High Pinion and also the driver side (Ford) transfer case. I will be putting the axel under the frame in a few weeks and I guess I will have to make a custom set of spring plates. I don't know why this would not work on a GM but please fill in the blanks for me so I understnad how both Ford and GM did this.

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

chev used 2 studs that thread into the cast housing.
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/26127166/26127203sWmyVfrxZy
    I dont find any ford images on my HDD or webshots but perhaps you can see the holes for the studs in the raised area beside the spring pad.
    I have a good image on HDD of the chev with studs quite apparent on a rusty junkyard example
    some people use custom spring plates and the big U bolt when they cut the axle for pinion angle on chevs