Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 steering block better check yours

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4k20, Jun 7, 2003.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

my truck has been driving funny come to find out the steering block studs were tight but one had broken off. i bought it from a man in miss. who sells them on ebay . what i would like to know where can i get one that will not have this problem? the studs that came with the block kit are not grade 8 this is very dangerous if all of them would have broke i would have had no control of my truck and that could have been deadly,, so who ever else has these should check them today .. i had to edit this the studs were tight i said they were loose but they were not except for the one that had broken just with the one that was broke it causes the steering to be loose

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

thanks for the heads up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

First and formost contact the person you got it from and let him know what happened. Even if the parts are for offroad only like most parts specify, just imagine it braking because of a side load being on a rock. It could be ugly.

4. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i will contact him but i cant remember his email adress i think his name is steven

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I had one that came from Superlift and one of the studs broke off, and that just plain sucks when it is flush with the knuckle.

6. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just checked mine and I had one broken too. Now know why I have been all over the road for the past month. I have been going crazy trying to figure this one out. Thanks for posting this. I may not have checked that before it was too late. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

P.S. where can I get some good replacements?

7. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

thats what my truck was doing it was all over the road. it has been that way for a while . i noticed that my steering wheel would be straight and then sometimes it would be off center and when i went into a curve you could feel the play in the steering.i have not taken my block off yet but i know the stud is going to be broke off even and hell to get out. i will work on it this week and figure out a better way to bolt it down .

8. RingMaster4x4

Can put grade 8 bolts in the place of the studs?

9. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Might be interesting to see which stud broke on everyone's block.

Mine was the left front.

10. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

mine broke the right rear one.. i have been out there today trying to remove the broke one with no luck at all it looks like i will have to remove the whole knuckle and carry it to a machine shop damnit

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Did you try a drill and an easy out? I have a source for the grade 8 studs, I'll find out what the pricing is on it tomorrow. It looks like only those people running the lift block are having problems, are they all 3" lift blocks or is there a 1 inch in the mix?

12. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

yes i tryed the drill and ease out. but the easeout is going to break before it gives. i have really never had any luck while removing broken bolts if it was someone elses truck it would have came out but you know how that go"s. i have the 3.5 inch block. let me know about the studs they are 1/2 inch sae fine thread and are about 6inches long.

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

use anti sieze compound in the future.

14. RingMaster4x4

Put me on the list for the stubs too. The stube that broke on me was the front one away from the tire. I am running the 3" block. I haven't tried to get the broke stud out yet. I hope it comes out with a easy out.

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've got a call in to a bolt manufacturer, he'll get back to me in the morning. He's checking on 4" and 7" studs as well as threaded rod, all grade 8. If I get them in bulk (100)I'll get a decent price break, next step is a quantity of 20 which is more realistic. I'll post again tomorrow.

16. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i would rather have the studs if you can get them they have the shoulder on them to fit tighter in the block than the threaded rod. i need them 6 inches long..

17. RingMaster4x4

The studs I have are 5" long. Keep us updated. Thanks