Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 steering block?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudhog, Feb 10, 2002.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

is this the piece that ataches to the driver side? so it goes from the steering box to the steering block? ok now where do i get a new one? is this something 4wpw would have or is it a dealer only item? do i need a stock one or a raised one? i have 2.5in lift now but might go with a 4in lift soon so if i need a raised one for the 4in would it hurt to run a raised one now and put the 4in lift in later? also are all dana 60 steering blocks(if thats what they are called) the same? will a chevy one bolt to a dodge dana 60?
    thanks in advance[​IMG]

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

a steering block is a spacer that raises your steering arm

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

3. mudhog

ok so i need a new steering arm?

wheeling pics

4. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

I think you do, never use a block to raise it though. Those things are the biggest pieces of $hit ever. Get a drop pitman arm if you think you need it. Jon

Blazin' Trails ORD Style

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

dodge and chev and some ford 60s use kingpin style knuckles and steering arms will swap and blocks are the same.
    running a raised arm without lift will cause steering problems
    you should look into a 2" drop pitman arm from National Tire or ???
    the block is the most common way of correcting steering on a dana 60. I had one custom made so no idea what bigredblazer is talking about, off the shelf is bad quality?
    formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by m j on 02/10/02 09:27 PM.</FONT></P>

6. mudhog

ok here is what i need to know i put the 75 dodge dana 60 in my 77 blazer this weekend i got everything bolted in torked down the only thing besides the tires i needed to do was put the steering shaft(the thing that goes from the steering box to the steering arm) on ok the one that came with the dana 60 fit the steering arm but not the steering box and is to long and the one from my dana 44 fit the steering box but not the steering arm. so what do i need to do to fix it??????

wheeling pics

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

First, a raised steering block is what most of the guys (including Steve) used to make the pitman arm 'level'.

Second, are you talking about the drag link - it should be adjustable (two threaded ends with a split pipe looking center section for the adjustment part)? This is weird..............my 10 bolt drag link fit both the 10 bolt [​IMG] AND the D60 with just an inch or two adjustment. Maybe cause it's a Dodge part???? Dunno, but I'll call ya in the morning.........

ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I got my 4" raised block from Charles Babcock............tho they are available from 4WPW...........NOT a dealer item. Usually cost around $50...........but with 2.5" lift for the short term might NOT be required (at least to get you going). Yes, it bolts in place on the driver's side on the king pin top with studs.............does your Dodge D60 not have anything there????

ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yep Steve used to have one, he borrowed it from Shawn Spickler and now I have it on my truck so it has been around the block a time or two.[​IMG]

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

10. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Everywhere i checked around the steering block was $75 and up. i got lucky and BILL RAY had one and got it off him. try asking someone that has done a crossver and he might have one laying around. and if all else fails get one new. im definately going crossover, just not too soon, and will end up selling it. kinda a temperory thing.

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

83 Chevy, 350, sm465, lincoln locked14ff, (soon to be- spooled dana 60, flatbed,and 39.5" TSL's)

11. mudhog

YES the drag link that is what im talking about the one that came with the dana 60 fits the dana 60 but NOT the steering box arm my dana 44 on fits the steering box arm but not the dana 60 arm[​IMG] ok the one that came with the dana 60 is bent(stock not damaged) the one for my dana 44 is straight like you mentioned and is adjustable so can i fust unscrew one end and get a new end that would fit the dodge dana 60 or get a chevy arm to bolt to the dodge dana 60? do you all see what im saying or am i talking jiberish?

wheeling pics

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

13. mudhog

yup the hole diameter on the dodge arm is to small[​IMG]

wheeling pics

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

That make sense then.............take the draglink from the <font color=red>DODGE</font color=red> to Napa and tell them you need that diameter end to mate up to the center section of your <font color=blue>CHEVY</font color=blue> draglink.................you should be able to tell if the thread diameter and pitch is same.

This is what happens when your Chevy has an adverse reaction to a Dodge transplant [​IMG]

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

like Frank said.. just take the dodge part and tyhe chevy part in and get a adjustment section that should mate them...i fi not i guess you could always do a cross over set up [​IMG]

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

OR go buy a $40 snap on reamer #R121and retaper the dodge steering arm from the top side to match the chev tierods.
    you may have to also shorten one of the tierod ends as the dodge arm isnt as far back as the chev piece so the adjustment might not go short enough

if you buy the reamer I would be interested in buying it from you so we could work a deal perhaps

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by m j on 02/12/02 05:23 PM.</FONT></P>