Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Stubs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfireman110, Feb 26, 2004.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

I keep hearing about the 35 spline upgrade for D60s. Just how weak are the stock 30 spline stubs? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Compared to a 10 bolt or D44??? Just wondering if I should expect to break the 30 splines right away or what?
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

they are like anything else it depends on how u ride. i say they are a lot stronger than a 44 or 10 bolt.

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

If you run those 33's you have listed in your Bio I would say you will be fine and dandy. The 30 spline stubs are good up to about a 36" tire and that's not saying they are bullet proof. Any tire much bigger and you are on a short fuse before /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

the stock 30 spline stubs off a d60 are the same as d44 except the hole for the u-joints are bigger. they are definately a weak link.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i broke mine with i believe my 37's, or 40's with street driving, i dont really know when it broke, but it did. I havent wheeled with the 40's yet and it was already broken, which makes me think the 37;s did it /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the stock 30 spline stubs off a d60 are the same as d44 except the hole for the u-joints are bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO THEY MOST CERTAINLY ARE NOT!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif The dana 44/10 bolt has a 30 spline INNER shaft, but the outer is not 30 spline. The dana 60 30 spline stub is much bigger than the dana 44/10 bolt STUB axle.

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Yes a 30 slpine stub is the weakest part of a D60. The 19 spline stub of a D44 is supposed to be it's weakest part. It takes a lot of work to blow a 30 slpine stub with 38's or less. You can run the 30 sline, see how it works. Carry an extra stub , u-joint, spindle, and locking hub just in case you do kill it. The D60 bible goes to explain that the neck down inners are weaker than a 30 spline outter as well. Depending on which shafts you have that is a lot to change out for a might break part. Plus it is funner to break a part you already wanted to replace so if a question comes up you can say "ya I broke one and then..."
    My .02 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif