Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 stubshaft upgrade options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2Blazer, Sep 20, 2005.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've been debating on what to do in regards to upgrading my Dana 60 30-spline stubs (I've broken 2 now). Since there are few more options available (besides the old standard 35-spline Spicer stuff) I thought maybe it was worth some discussion. I did a search and really didn't find anything. Money is an important consideration so I left out the $$ Superior stuff........I'm looking for the best bang for the buck!

Here are the options including the best prices I could find on the internet:

1. Yukon Chromoly 30-spline stubs = $195 shipped
    I already have flanges, so strength in that department should not be an issue. Supposedly these are as strong or stronger than 35-spline Spicers

2. Spicer 35-spline stubs + drive flanges = $140 stubs + $135 flanges = $275
    Mt. Logan flanges as advertised on Pirate4x4, most other flanges cost a bit more

3. Yukon Chromoly 35-spline stubs + flanges = $195 stubs + $135 flanges = $330

Option 1 and 2 should be equivalent strength......advantage option 1 for being $80 cheaper.

Option 3 is the ultimate bling (without selling a kidney), but $135 more than option 1.

Option 2 almost appears to be left out in the cold with these prices. I'd pay the extra $55 versus just getting the standard Spicer stuff, but saving $135 makes the 30-spline stuff look intereting.

I'm pretty confident that either the 30-spline Yukons or the 35-spline Spicers have plenty of strength for my current setup but wanted to add the 35-spline Yukon stuff for comparison......and everybody knows that bigger is better!

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Have you thought about Superiors or Alloy USA stubs? Alloy's are supposed the be 10 year, no questions asekd warranty!

**EDIT** And only about $80 more than the Yukons and the price includes shipping.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am a fan of the 30 spline chromo's. The 30 spline Chromo stubs bring the strength level up to the stength of non-neckdown inner axles and are as strong as 35 spline Spicers like you mentioned. The only reason I see to upgrade to 35 spline chromo's is if you upgrade the inners to chromo's as well. 30 spline D60 hubs are also stronger then 35 spline D60 hubs so you don't spend money upgrading to a weaker part at the hub.

If you already have the 30 spline flanges then I would just get 30 spline chromo stubs and call it a day.

Harley

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Go 35 spline yukon outers and get some flanges, dont look back. I have seen my fair share of spicer 35 spline outers break so I think its a waste of money to get the chromo 30 splines just be be equal strength to the spicers.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

But don't they only offer 35-spline versions. The issue with that is that you add $80 on top of the $135+ flanges, so you are now at an extra $215 over the 30-spline chromos.

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't really disagree. Just to spur on more discussion I've never seen anybody break a 35-spline Spicer stub on the terrain we have around here, and that includes two friends with 42's and big blocks in fullsize trucks......one of the trucks weighs 7,000 lbs. and I've seen it get beat on hard.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

True. I guess I was just adding an option #4. :) But would be nice to have a 10 year warranty.

Are you breaking the stubs only? Or are your joints breaking too? Wondeing if you are breaking the joints and taking out the stubs......??...

One thing that just came to mind. With some of these chromo shafts... Dont some of the companys only offer a warranty if used in conjunction with inner chromos and also their joints? Just wondering.

**EDIT** If $$ is an big concern, I'd do what Harley said and try the 30 spline Chromo's... Your cheapest route...

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I take it you dont have many rocks up there :p:

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I would go with option 3 as I am on my 3rd 35 spline Spicer stub for the short side. :eek: And that was only in about a year of use (it's been out of commission for nearly a year now). If I ever get my junk back on the trail, one of my near term upgrades will be Yukon or USA alloy axles with CTMs...

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You have a PM.

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Cromo 30 spline. As harley mentioned it matches the big inners and you have a bonus of cromo ears on it that the spicer 35 spline does not have.

12. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We have some new 1541H stubs (35 spl) from Yukon that I think will be a nice step above the spicer 35 spl. stubs. They have beefier ears and with the stronger alloy, they should be a much better match for the inner shafts with stronger ears to resist egging out. Supplies are not great on them and they're a little more than the spicer shafts (about $5 ea) but overall they're a good deal. On indian imports, darn it.
    The 30 spl. chromo stubs might not be a bad idea in your case. One nice thing about that route would be the stronger ears since the long term failures on spicer stuff seem to be egging the ears out.

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The 1541 Yukon stubs sound like another legitimate choice.........or they basically make the Spicer 35-spline stubs obsolete. Hmmmmmm.........

To answer a few of the other questions:

I installed forged Spicer u-joints in the axle before it went under the truck and have yet to break one.

The necked down inner shaft and the 2 stub shafts I have broken were all at different times and on rocks..........of course around here the "rocks" are usually wet but not always. The rocks were always on hillclimbs and a decent amount of throttle and wheelspin was involved.