Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 STUPID question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Commocozy, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

First off i would like to say sorry about the stupid question. I did do a search and came up with like 1000 things none of which helped 100%, so i am posting here..

I found a Dana 60, and i just want to make sure this will work before i pick it up. Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!

Here is the description they guy has put..

" This is a Front Dana 60 axle from a 1980 Chevy dually setup with the Budd type wheels. the ratio is 4.10 to 1, it has spicer hubs. An open carrier, 35 spline inner, and 30 spline outer axles. The rotors are in excellent shape as well as the calipers. The wheel hubs, locking hubs, and knuckles all turn freely.

If anyone can confirm this will work, and if you can tell me as best you can what i will need for the install.

<font color=blue>79 Jimmy. Pretty much stock right now but in a few months she will be all grow up</font color=blue> <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Commocozy on 01/21/02 11:33 AM.</FONT></P>

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

So, what's your question?

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

3. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to make sure this will work for me. And if possible what parts I will need to hook it up?

Thanks for the fast reply! Sorry i didn't include all the info!

<font color=blue>79 Jimmy. Pretty much stock right now but in a few months she will be all grow up</font color=blue>

4. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

Come on help me out here please! I have got to e-mail this guy here soon!

<font color=blue>79 Jimmy. Pretty much stock right now but in a few months she will be all grow up</font color=blue>

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It will bolt to a Full-size Jimmy/Blazer, but you will need the D60 spring plates (the pieces that go on top of the springs and the swaybar bolts to). You may need new brake lines if running a D44 (I think the 10 bolts will bolt up fine), but you will have to machine the hubs (or plan to use budd wheels), your wheels will stick out too far. I believe some members on here will do the machining for you (I think they said around $200) or maybe you can find a machine shop to do it for you.

There may be somethings I missed too, maybe the others can help.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

6. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

Can you explain this BUD wheel thing? IF i am going to be running a 14BFF in rear will it matter? I will be getting new wheels anyway since have 6 lugs now. Are all Dana 60's like this with the BUD WHEELS?

7. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

There are two configurations of the D60 axle; A one ton single wheel setup and the other is on the one ton dually. The width of the dually D60 axle assembly is wider than the single wheel setup. As mentioned previosly, you can have it machined but I'd pass on it unless the price was right.

8. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Dana 60s off Duallys use dually (bud) wheels. Take a look at the offset (or lack of) of the front wheels of any Dually (2 wheel or 4 wheel drive) and you'll see what he's talking about. Look at the wheels on any Dually tow truck for example. You'll have to change the hubs or have them machined. I don't know about machining the existing, but look into it before purchasing, I know the cost of new hubs is up there. Buds are available in limited sizes in the 16 x 6 or 16.5 x 6 range. You could have custom built wheels made for the front but then they wouldn't match the rear (of course neither would the Buds). You never mentioined if you were building a Dually 4x4 ... if so, this is exactly what you want, if not, you might want to hold out for a single front Dana 60. I think that's what I would do. Less work and money in the long run unless you are getting a whopper of a deal on this 60. There was a fellow on this board who had a line on quite a few Dana 60 single fronts in CA. I think he was also familiar with the machining process. Let me know if you'd like and I'll try to look it up. I do think all his 60s were geared 4:56 though.

My Big 2 cents worth!

Eric M.

Blown K3500 [​IMG]