Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Swap - Ran into snags - Need Help Quick!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Apr 28, 2002.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Hi all,

I was swapping in my "new" Dana 60 yesterday, and ran into a couple of snags. Mostly with the crossover steering part. Any help you can give me would be appreciated greatly!

1 - Upon installing the "new" AGR 2wd steering box that I got from Titanic, I realized two things - one is that the splined shaft coming out of the box towards the steering shaft is larger than my stock box's. So, my rag joint won't connect to the AGR box... The other thing is that the fittings for the PS lines are compression fittings and not my stock o-ring style fittings. What year truck do I need to get the right hoses/fittings from to work with that box? And the rag joint - is this a junkyard only thing, or do any parts stores carry the larger diameter rag joints? I tried Kragen yesterday and they only have a "rebuild kit" that replaces the rubber part...

2 - Drag link that I got from Titanic is too short. How do I measure exactly to get the correct length drag link I will need? From what point exactly and how to position steering arm and pitman arms before measuring?

3 - Tie rod mounting - my stock 10 bolt had the tie rod mount from underneath, the Dana 60 mounts from on top it appears. Also, I have a Rock Rod, and it was too long with the stock tie rod end w/ stabilizer mount hole in it - anyone know off hand the part number for the correct rod end I need?
    Sorry for the length, just trying to get some answers so that I cn go parts scrounging today if possible! The D60 looks awesome underneath, and I can't wait to drive it!

2. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

hey I might be able to awnser a couple of your questions. first the rag joint and lines you need to get from a 1973 to 1977 chevy truck they had a bigger shaft that came out of the box so that is probly the year box you have. you can get the parts for that at a parts store or wrecking yard.on the tie rod ends the part numbers are ES2010L and ES2234R. I hope this helps you and good luck on the rest of your install

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

You'll have to open up that hole on your Rag joint. They can interchange from 4wd to 2wd. I reused mine with no problems. I would imagine yours got tighten REALLY tight on your old box. I would think the dealer would carry it, but not sure. Bone yard may be your best bet if you can't open yours up a little.

If you're changing your PS pump, look for pre 80' pump and get pre 80 hoses. Mine is that way as well. Flare fittings are better than O-rings in the long run I believe. But you can also change the large nut in the back of your PS pump to the flare fitting style, so all you need to get is that nut (forget the proper name for it) and new hoses (pre 80'). that's what I did (changed that "nut") (it's the nut that has a female thread that the hose will bolt into).

Drag link, have the pitman arm centered and measure from the hole on the pit to the hole on the steering arm, there's your length you need.

Yes, tierod is mounted on top. I don't remember the tierod ends part # off the top of my head though...sorry. Do a search, I know that was covered atleast.
    Boss

4. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

keith what are you putting that dana 60 in?

mike

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

It's going in my 87 Blazer...

And thanks for the help guys, that should get me started in my search for parts. So, it sounds as if I need the rag joint and lines from a 73-77 truck? I don't want to have to change the pump if possible, so I will check into changing the nut as was mentioned above.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

it sounds like you need a 87 2wdr steering box.
    why change 10 other things when it is the box that is wrong year

7. Boss

Cause the box is the pricey part.
    First, that "nut" cost like $2 to $5 or so bucks. The Pressure hose cost ~ $15 to $20.

Or, change the PS pump and hose and you're at ~$70 to $80 total.
    Try finding a box with Hydro assist Ram ports for that price.

Anyhow, Keith, I must've been lucky or something, but my truck is an 89' and uses the pre-80' AGR box and the rag joint fitted fine. Didn't know they made different sizes. Did you try opening up the hole a little?

http://community.webshots.com/photo/22502789/23058646nIbiVnUOTd

http://community.webshots.com/photo/22502789/23058677lHhyhrDJbw

Boss

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I found a local place that makes the hoses, so that should not be a problem, he is gonna make the hose with the o-ring style fittings on the pump side and the flare style fittings for the box side. On the rag joints, I had no idea that there were different sizes either! But the shaft on the AGR box is much bigger than the one that was on my 87's stock box...I am gonna call Borgeson to pick their brains on that one, I am sure they would know of any size differences.

Thanks for the help Boss (and others), I really appreciate it! Gotta talk to Steve about a correct fitting drag link also... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, Boss, I took the pump off and didn't see this "nut" that could be swapped. Looks like that "nut" is part of the pump case, didn't look like it would come off? Maybe I am confused...

10. Boss

That "nut" is the largest one back there...It's towards the bottom. I don't have a pic of it, but check out this pic:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/22502789/23058628omnzgtgJxY

See that hole on the bottom right (the largest one), that's where the "nut" goes into...there is a proper name for it, just can't think of it right now...Your PS hose goes into that. If you removed your hose from the pump, you removed it from that.
    If you're having a custom hose made, then you're golden and have nothing to worry about. Only problem I see, is in the future, when you need to replace it, no parts store will carry that....

Anyhow, on the ragjoint, man, the AGR shaft must be a lot bigger. I would imagine since where the rag connects on that shaft, it's at "C", you should be able to open it up to fit, unless its way bigger. But like I said, my AGR box is from a Pre-80' like yours, and my truck is an 89' and it all worked for me...Good luck.
    Boss

11. Boss

Just to clarify again, that "nut"/or fitting, holds the valve and spring in place. When you remove it, the spring will want to to push the valve and "nut/fitting" out. That's the one I'm talking about...only thing really back there.
    Boss

12. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Well, I talked to AGR, and supposedly there were two different rag joint sizes - one is the 3/4" 30 spline and the other is the 13/16" 36 spline version. Not much bigger, but different spline count. Just got off the phone with NAPA, and they are ordering in two of them for me, one of each...I intend to measure the shaft again tonight and recount the splines, just to make sure. He searched for all the rag joints he could find, and he said that the 3/4" and 13/16" were the only ones he could find for the Chevys...so hopefully the 13/16" will work! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Yes, that is the "nut" that I thought you were referring to...that things comes off? Man, maybe it was too dirty to tell, but it sure looked like it was all one piece with the pump body...I'll take a closer look tonight...looked more like a "bung" than something that would come off...but I'll check, as you know more about it than I do! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

If I can get it off, where do I find the correct nut? Cause then I could just go to the parts store and pick up a stock steering hose with the flare fittings right? Hmmm...

13. Boss

Cool...that's good to know (ragjoint came in two different sizes). I didn't know that...learn something new everyday /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyhow, yep that "nut/fitting" comes off. That's the only way to remove the pump from the reservoir too (after removeing the 2 other studs). When you do remove, be careful, b/c the valve and spring may shoot out, don't want to lose those. Not a big deal, but just letting you know so you'll be aware of that.
    You can get that "nut/fitting" from Napa. Bring it in and show them b/c you would sound silly over the phone describing it as a "nut/fitting". Just bring it in and say you need the pre-80' version (Flared). And then, Yes, you will be able to get the Flared fitting style pressure hose.
    Looks like you're getting closer to completion /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Good luck!
    Boss

14. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yeah, keep getting a little closer, but not there yet! Biggest thing now will be getting the drag link...anybody know off hand what the part number is for the tie rod end that would hook the drag link up to the pitman arm? Need a left hand thread version, since I already have the drag link to steering arm rod end (it's the smaller size tie rod end, since the steering arm I got was reamed for them and not the larger tie rod ends).

Once again, Thanks for all the help!!

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so can you just change that rag flange?
    what did that add to the cost? we are at $80 + rag +???
    and I didnt see ram assist ports mentioned anywhere

16. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok, got the drag link sorted out for the time being. I found some rod ends that Titanic had sent me, they mysteriously escaped from the box that I had all the parts in (don't ya hate that?!) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif So, I have the straight drag link on for now, am gonna have to see how much crossmember trimming I need to do...has anyone else trimmed theirs? How much needed to come off?

As for the rag joint, I am of the understanding that there were two main rag joints used for Chevy trucks - the 30 spline/3/4" version or the 36 spline/13/16" version...I will find out this morning at Napa if it's going to work for me or not! I measured my AGR box last night, and sure enough the "input shaft" was 13/16" and had 31 splines showing (I estimated that there would be an additional 5 splines, but you know how the shaft is "flat" on one side) I then counted my stock box, and there were 25 splines showing...so I am guessing that they count how many splines the shaft had before it was milled with the flat spot? I hope this thing works!

Found out that the AGR box I got was for the 75-80 Chevy 2WD trucks, so am hoping to get that "nut" for the PS pump and then just buy stock PS lines to hook up to the box...

So, we're getting closer! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

The nut that you need for the output shaft on the steering box is 7/8 by 14. Chevrolet wants $14 for one, I went to the local hardware store and bought a grade 8 nut and hardened washer for $1.50. Hope this helps.

18. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

OOps, I just went back and read your last post again. I think I misunderstood which nut it was that you were needing. Sorry!

19. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Re: Dana 60 Swap - Ran into snags - Update

Just thought I'd let you guys know that if you come upon the steering flex coupler (A.K.A. "rag joint" or "flex joint") problem like I did when swapping in the steering box for crossover, you can get the replacement parts from Napa - the part number for the 13/16" 36 spline version is Motormite 31015 (they make all those red "Help" products). It is more expensive than finding one in a junkyard, but is much easier. Also, most likely the one you get in a junkyard will be worn out anyway, so you would need to rebuild it, so by the time you go and search, buy and rebuild, heck you could just have a brand new one on.

Anyways, I am getting closer. Have the drag link on, got the steering shaft hooked up to the box now. Today I get the flare style hoses and fittings, as well as the "valve/nut" thingy on the back of the PS pump that I need to swap. Also need a shorter tie rod end to be able to hook up the tie rod, and then I'll be set!
    Thanks for the help, and if you are doing this swap, let me know if I can help at all!

20. Boss

Re: Dana 60 Swap - Ran into snags - Update

Keith,
    Glad it's all coming together.
    How much did the rag joint set you back?
    Boss