Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 tie-rod question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Dec 23, 2002.

well, im about ready to put my dana 60 on, but the tierod i got with it is junk, so would it be ok to temporarily use a gm 10 bolt tie rod?? its the right length and it fit, but do the tapers match?

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The tapers match, but the D60 is a shorter length TR.

You can shorten a D44 or 10 bolt TR, but that takes some patience and skill so not to mess up the threads on the TRE's and the adjusting sleeve.

2. ya, i noticed that its a ntad bit too long, but theres about 2" of thread where you can adjust it, hwo much skill does it take to adjust it?

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

No, its not the skill to adjust it. Its the skill to shorten the TRE's and adjusting sleeve.

I did this once to a D44 TR. I cut off 1" of threads on each end and 1/2" on each end of the adjusting sleeve. I did not want to shorten the adjusting sleeve too much, hence the 1/2" rather than 1".
    The patience and skill come into play here where you need to file the cut edges on the threads. These threads are fine threaded and need to be cleaned up and have no obtrusions in the way so you don't have problems with tightening the adjusting sleeve. Needs to be clean so the sleeve will turn freely by hand. I cleaned my cuts on the threads with a special "V" groove file, very fine and small tool. Took some time to go thru the cuts, but the patience paid off since the TR was like any other and worked just as good, too.

4. yeah, i do not have the skill to do something like that. i tightened up the adjuster all the way, and i cant tell if its toe in or even, really close to tell, i have the dana 60 tierod still, im going to put the end from the 10 bolt and see how it works cus the main thing wrng with the d60 tierod was the ball joint on the end. ill see how it goes...

5. can the actual tierod be shortened itself? not by cuting off the threads...

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

What's a D60 tie rod worth to you? I have one.

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know this doesn't help but have a nice HD tie-rod made when you get around to it. The stock ones are weak..... I have one of those (straightened /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) but it is not worth the price of shipping.

8. where is pacifica?? maybe we can work something out...

9. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Pacifica is in the San Francisco Bay Area - taking a road trip north?
    The tie-rod is just around the corner from my driveway..... LOL

And I might be selling my brand new HD (1.5") tie rod....I will let you know.

Thinking hi-steer since it is getting reasonably priced. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif