Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 trac-lok?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLZN4FN, Mar 7, 2006.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Ok I found a Dana 60 trac-lok on e-bay. It"s for a 3.08 to 4.10 without spacer and fits 4.56 to 6.17 with a ring gear spacer. Trac-locs web site states no ring and pionion set up needed with this locker.

My question is. I have 4.56 gears so I will need a spacer. Where do i find a ring gear spacer? And if I do will I have to setup my gears?

Let me know what you think on this if this is a good way to go or not:confused:

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

most are 30 spline

need to find 35 spline side gears from dana 70 trac lok to make it work up front. if thats what you are doing.

*shouldnt* have to change pinion depth, only backlash.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

IIRC D70 trac-loks are fairly rare...unless power-lok stuff interchanges too.

You're almost better off waiting and trying to get one out of a CUCV axle. (35 spline) If I weren't welding mine into a ball I'd send you the carrier.

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

D70 T/L's are so rare to the point that they do not exist ....... The only O.E.M. clutch typr diff for a D70 ,from Spicer/Dana, is a P/L.

As stated up above anytime you cahnge the carrier you will need to adjust/check the side to side clearances.

HTH's Tom

5. mikey_d05

It's alright, t/l's aren't worth a sh!t unless they're welded solid anyways.

6. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Give me the 60 Bo and find a cheaper way???:D

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

As far as I know there were Trac-loks made/used in front 60's, but not that common.

I don't know how you could replace an open diff with a Trac-lock and not reset the gears??? You might get lucky and be able to reuse the same shims, but I would at least double-check them. Are you sure you are looking at the correct website??

In general Trac-loks were a fairly mild/weak limited slip (meaning they will not keep both tires spinning) that was made so OEM's could offer a little more traction but not really effect the handling or driveability. If you have both tires sitting on level wet grass it will work, but don't expect much more. I personally would not bother to spend the time installing one even if I got it free.

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The jeepers that wheel with me call them "trash locks"...I wonder why?;)

9. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

Theres no way it can be for 3.08 to 4.10. Maybe like 3.54 to 4.10. the 3.08 would be a dana 61 and would need something totally different.

BTW you would need a 904a spacer from mr. gasket if thats the way your going.

10. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a Tracklok for 4.56 and up gears, 35 spline. I never used it, got it off a guy on Pirate who had it in his crawler, wanted something stronger in the front, IIRC he went to a spool. I paid $150+plus shipping, do the same for you. And if the ebay add says it's for 3.08-4.10s, it's a Dana 61, NOT a Dana 60. Lowest you can go with a D60 is 3.31s. The only trucks that came with T/L in them is the CUCV, and a year or two with Ford. And you can't take the sidegears from a D70 T/L cause they don't exist, and the P/L gears are different. If you have a T/L with 30 sp and want to go 35, then you will have to hunt down a set from somewhere, Dana doesnt' carry them anymore. Now if you have a D60 P/L with 30 sp, then you can take the gears from a D70 P/L to use in a front.

11. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I vote skip it and what for somthing else better.

12. mikey_d05

I should have been more specific before, I roasted mine completely in 2 runs and it wasn't worth a damn beforehand anyways...don't get one.