Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Trac-Lok

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jan 24, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Waste of time? I will be getting into some pretty crazy stuff so a locker would be beneficial, but I found a Trac-Lok cheaper than an open housing. Could I weld a trac-lock solid?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if the 60 is from a gm pickup then it wil be a powr-lok, the smaller and lighter SUV's and such got the trak-lok units

if you weld an axle solid then you will risk breaking a number of things such as shafts, spiders, etc, if you drive on pavement, and not on at least gravel and preefrably sand, mud, etc,. every turn that you take with a rig on pavement with a welded or spooled or mini spooled axle will have a risk of breaking something in the axle and also of losing control of vehicle because the inside tire of the turn will be spinning

good luck

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

It is a truggy, it will almost never see road use, and when it does, hubs won't be locked.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

How much cheaper then an open case? I found one for 30 bucks, of course I put new clutches in it!

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Not that cheap, but I can't find an open case for under $110.

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The Trac Lok was what was in the military D60's. I had one in my Jimmy and it was ok but the Power Lock is much stronger and is just a step under a full locker.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I agree , I have seen the Trac-Lok's in the military K-30's and I have seen a P/L in a civilian 1981 Cab Chassis K-30 . The manauls that I have seen verify that they were offerd in each truck .

8. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not that cheap, but I can't find an open case for under $110

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have an open D60 case for 4.56 and up gears for sale. I bought it from another CK5 member and never used it. $50 and it's yours... or you could just take some money off those springs for me /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

deal man, PM

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you are building a truggy for off-road only use, then don't waste your time with the trac-lock. I'm sure you could weld it up, but it would be harder to do than an open carrier.

I still don't understand why people say that a welded diff or spool will break things.......it's like all of the other parts of an axle magically get weaker when you do this???? If a welded front Dana 60 will break just turning on pavement, how in the world does it not grenade the second you start spinning on some rocks, and why is something like a Detroit easier on it??????