Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Ubolt Measurments

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SAVAGE1, Nov 25, 2002.

1. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

My search only gave me bits and pieces. I'm getting the Ubolts made tomorrow and I want to have all the measurments they'll need, this is what I know so far:

-5/8 size bolt
    -both driver's side are same, I don't know the axle tube size.
    -passenger side uses 1 Ubolt that is bigger then the drivers side bolts.
    -I'll need longer studs for the passenger side to clear the lift springs. (Shaggy is also running a post on this)

TIA /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

2 bolts, driver side, 3 1/4" i.d.

1 bolt, passenger side, 4" i.d.

Studs will determine whether you are running just the leaf pack or with zero-rates.
    Keep in mind, the studs should be the 5/8" coarse thread to bolt into the housing, and the upper threads should match the other 3 u-bolts, which should have fine threads.

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Thanks Wes, I knew I should've just PM'ed you in the first place, like I usually do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks again.

4. thatK30guy

NP. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good to post it up here so others can read the specs, too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

How tall is it from the bottom of the axle tube to the top of the spring perch? Is it different for each side? This measurment, plus the spring/zero-rate/spring plate thickness would determine the final length of the Ubolt.

6. thatK30guy

Since the tubes are 3 1/4" diameter, the perches (if I can remember correctly) are 1 1/4" tall.

Leaf spring pack thickness will vary depending on the brand they are. HD springs are normally around or over 2" thick. Soft riding springs can be 2" or thinner.

So, the D60 tube and perch puts it at 4 1/2" plus approximately 2" for the leaf pack, plus 1" for the zero-rate. That's 7 1/2" total. Now add 1/2" for the thickness of the u-bolt plates and an additional 2" for the threads to be exposed above the u-bolt plates. The nuts should be around 1" tall and you will have around 1" of extra threads standing above the nuts.

The driver side u-bolts should be 10" inside length to fit the zero-rates.
    The passenger side u-bolt I cannot say because I cannot remember the difference in the length of the driver side but I do believe it to be around 1/2" to 3/4" longer than the driver side u-bolts.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Why don't you just order them from ORD like I did? I only paid $45.00 and it is part #GU37051. They sent me 3 U-bolts and the 2 bolts for the passenger side. Just tell them how thick your spring pack is and Steve will know what you need. My spring pack is about 2" thick and I think that most packs are close to that.