Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 ubolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86Cucvbeater, Oct 28, 2005.

1. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

So I broke a spring plate bolt on the pass side of my dana 60. Im gonna try to extract it when I get some time off from the electrical problems Im having with the same truck :crazy: . Any know where I can order something stronger? I'll be putting zero rates in there too when I get it apart so the new ubolts/studs/bolts or whatever will need to be long enough. I have skyjacker 6 in lift springs so they are not thin like stock springs nor are they thick like rear heavy duty springs. Anyone? TIA

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

grade 8 bolts are about as strong as you can get. were you using grade 8 bolts or studs?

ryan

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Go get some Bowman or CAT bolts/studs. The tensile strength is higher than G8.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you look in the phone book under "hardware", you should find an "Industrial Hardware Supply" store in your area that can get you some Grade 8 studs and nuts for you. I think the size you are going to need is course thread 5/8 X 5. After all Raleigh NC is the big city that Deputy Barney Fife used to take his vacations in.

5. 86Cucvbeater

I was using factory bolts. I can get some stronger bolts but what I meant to ask is who sells a ubolt kit for the 60? I will be replacing the ubolts and bolts when i put the zero rates in and extract the bolt, and i dont wanna go to auto zone for this stuff if they'd even have it. thanks

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i think ord sells longer studs. when i bought my 60, the guy who sold it to me gave me some studs.

or i would just measure the thickness of the spring pack with the zero rate, the thickness of the spring plate, and the depth of the hole in the axle. find a grade 8 5/8" coarse thread bolt that will not bottom out in the axle.

ryan

7. 86Cucvbeater

I actually just saw in the ORD forum that they have a kit.. duh! :doah:

Thanks guys

8. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

yep i just got a kit from ord :D

9. short sub

short sub Registered Member

i used to break grade 8 bolts alot in my 60, and i also messed up the threads on the last occasion. After heli coiling the threads i installed the ORD studs in it and KNOCK ON WOOD they have worked flawlessly. i check them everynow and then to make sure their tight, but other then that they have worked perfect.

10. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    If a grade 8 or higher breaks, how do you tap/drill it out?

11. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

when i pulled my Dana 60 from the PnP, it was just held in with grade 5 bolts (only had 3 ticks on the top).
    i need to find some 4.5" long bolts, i could find 4" which is too short, and 5" which is too long.

12. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

washers are your friend :D

13. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

but is it safe to stack 2-3 washers like that though??

14. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

alot of time and cussing.

seriously, a good drill and some good bits. soak in penetrating oil. a little heat will help break it loose.

in general, if it wasnt cross threaded into the hole, once the rust is broken loose, the bolt "should" spin out.

ryan

15. 86Cucvbeater

What is the best pentrating oil to use here? My buddy drilled into the bolt and was able to extract it a little then it wouldnt turn anymore and he didnt want to brake the extractor. I've heard about some stuff that's better than PB blaster but I can't think of the name...anyone?

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

"HEAT"

I've tried about every kind of penetrating oil there is..they all work about the same..PB blaster is a bit overated in my opinion..I used it several times,it didn't impress me ..Liquid Wrench,WD-40,CRC 5-5-6,"Cyclone Break-away"-"Kroil",even Castor oil in a squirt bottle all work about the same..Liquid Wrench is nothing mre than diesel fuel and mineral spirits if you ask me..Marvel Mystery oil works pretty good--so does dextron ATF...I've yet to see a penetration oil actually "creep" into threads like they say it does-- :rolleyes:

The best rust buster is heat!--the good old blue wrench loosens all!..get he area around the bolt thats snapped off nice and toasty,(dont heat the broken bolt!)-and it will usually come right out..

I often weld another nut to broken bolts if they are over 3/8"..the heat from the weld soaks into the bolt--wait a few moments,and the heat will expand the outer walls of the bolt hole--then you can turn the nut with a wrench,and remove the busted off bolt--no drilling!..(works good on hardened bolts that would be tough to drill anyway..)

The bolts that broke off shouldn't be hard to extract,as long as they were not bottomed out in the hole..sometimes just using a sharp punch and a hammer,you can "spin" them out.. :crazy: