Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 vibes when braking....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, May 23, 2003.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

First time driving it since the D60 install. D60 was rebuilt with everything new, cept the rotors. I didn't turn them either (resurface). So when I'm driving with any speed of 20mph or more, and step on the brakes I get a good amount of vibes on the whole truck.

I'm hoping its just the rotors needing to be resurfaced.

When the D44 was still in I had no vibes at all when braking.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Turn your rotors or replace them.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, warped rotors. My K30 does the exact same thing when I slow down, regardless of the speed. Feels like the DW but only when braking. I just never had time to take them off and turn them yet. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Thats going to be the sucky part. It takes quite a bit of work to get them off /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not like my XJ where you just remove the wheels and calipers.

5. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I installed a D60 in my '74 K10 last fall, new everything, resurfaced rotors and new pads and calipers. Everything has been good, no problems, no DW.

However, occasionally, just recently, and only when braking, I get a vibration like you mentioned, similar to DW. I haven't been able to determine the cause though. One theory I have is that the calipers are not free to slide (parallel to the axle centerline) along the bracket mounting surfaces, or maybe they are binding. The reason I say this is because I had to buy oversize "caliper keys" that fit under the caliper long flat springs between the caliper body and rotor bracket. Evidently the bracket that holds the caliper was worn, and it allowed the caliper to move excessively in all directions, which ain't right.

I dunno, just a thought about what might be wrong. Like I said, this vibration only happens sometimes, and isn't severe like the DW. I will add that when it does it, it happens just after a bad, rough part of the road, or off the road. What do you, or anyone else think?