Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 vs 14blt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MR.4x4, Aug 9, 2002.

1. MR.4x4

MR.4x4 Registered Member

Hi, which one is stronger??

The Dana 60 Vs Gm 14 BLT???

thanks for your help

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I am assuming you are talking about a 14B full floater. From what I seen the 14BFF is stronger, I know it has a larger ring gear, I can say for a fact they are very strong, I have broken several 12 bolts in the past but since I put my 14BFF in I haven't had any more problems.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

In most cases the 14 bolt FF will be stronger. Typically most of the rear D60's have 30 spline / 1.31" axles, where the 14 bolt FF has 30 spline / 1.5" axle. The 14 bolt FF also has a ring that that is almost an inch larger in diameter and the pinion stem is a fair amount thicker. In most cases the 14 bolt FF will also have larger drum brakes.

The drawback to the 14 bolt FF is that it is fat. It does have less ground clearance than the D60 which may or may no be an issue for you.

4. MR.4x4

MR.4x4 Registered Member

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 14-bolt is stronger. It is closer to a Dana 70 than to a Dana 60. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I agree the 14 bolt is a better comparison to a Dana 70.

Ken H.

7. MR.4x4

MR.4x4 Registered Member

And the 12 BLT its closer to????

Thanks again /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

8. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

The for sale ads ! Just kidding, couldn't resist.

9. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

12 bolt is a hair under 8.8" ring gear with C clips, so it's a step up from a 10 bolt (8.5"), but doesn't come close to the strength of a floating setup like the 14 or big Danas. I prefer the 14 over a Dana 60 or 70 because generally the GMs are easier to work on and set up and parts are usually cheaper although there currently are no manual locker options for a 14bFF, but you can get an ARB for a 60, if that makes any difference. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

One thing I forgot to mention (that you may already know) was the gear ratio selection. The Dana axles have a much greater selection of available ratios than the 14 bolts (limited to 5.13). The trade off to gear selection though is that the locker cost for a Dana is a good bit higher.

The 12 bolt is a good rear end for a 1/2 ton, but unfortunately it is just that - a 1/2 rear end. With big tires it will not have the life span of the D60, D70 or 14 bolt axles.

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What Harry said.....

The 14FF is stronger than the D60. It's also evenly matched to the D70 instead. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what parts are cheaper for a 14ff over a dana?
    as they are pretty much dealer items

13. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

disk brakes conversions, rebuild kits, lockers, gears, bearings you name it. The 44s are pretty common so they are easy to get parts for, but the big ones with all the variations can be tricky to track down. With all the online sellers now, maybe they are getting closer in price to the GM stuff?

14. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

IN REPLY TO THE "NO MANUAL LOCKERS AVAILABLE FOR 14 FF" I KNOW THE OX LOCKER IS SELECTABLE AND EATON IS MAKING THE E-LOCKER FOR 14 FF HERE SHORTLY. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

15. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

this is the first i've heard of an oxlocker for the 14 bolt tell me more
    thanks'
    KRUM

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

i will give you disc brakes because of the members of this site selling them for cheap though I am betting the cost would be exactly the same to do a run for a dana
    and the detroit is just a lunch box for the 14ff but as that is the only thing available for it and the danas have almost everything under the sun that may or may not be a win if you want an ARB or something

DIFFERENTIAL MASTER BEARING KIT GM 10.5 14 BOLT 4.56 & UP 89 & UP
    $145.00 $125.00 On Sale!
    R14RLMKL
    DIFFERENTIAL MASTER BEARING KIT GM 10.5 14 BOLT 4.56 & UP 89 & UP

DIFFERENTIAL MASTER BEARING KIT DANA 60 ALL
    $125.00 $110.00 On Sale!
    RA29RMK
    DIFFERENTIAL MASTER BEARING KIT DANA 60 ALL

dana is cheaper for bearings etc and is available from more sources

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    EATON IS MAKING THE E-LOCKER FOR 14 FF HERE SHORTLY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you consider 2004 to be "here shortly". /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I haven't seen an Ox Locker for a 14-bolt FF either. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

18. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Looks like I could be flat wrong on some of the parts. All I know is that when I decided to swap my front 10bolt for a 44, the gears and rebuild parts were more expensive for the 44 than the 10bolt would have been. Not a whole lot, but enough to make me think maybe it was a bad idea. I also toyed with the idea of swapping to a D60 front, but everything was a whole lot more expensive than the 44 stuff in addition to finding a good housing and I decided to save that for the next stage of the build up (whenever that might be). /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Maybe it was a bad comparison because there is no 14 bolt front end (except for custom ones) but with as cheap and readily available as the 14 bolts are, I wouldn't recommend going with a Dana rear, unless money is no object. Plus, I know by reputation that Dana 60s and 70s are strong but I know firsthand that 14 bolts are virtually bombproof. The one I used had around 200K miles on it and the gears were still in good shape whereas the D44 front off the same truck had to have everything replaced.

Whenever someone develops a good reliable manual locker for the 10.5" 14 bolt, I will be all over it. I've got an Ox locker in my D44 front (although I haven't even tested it out much) and was told that there are currently no plans to design one for the 10.5" 14bolt by both Drivetrain Direct and Oxtrax. They seem to be only interested in marketing to the jeepster crowd (their loss) so they are only designing for the smaller Dana axles that jeeps use. Hopefully they will come to their senses. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

no kidding on the Ox marketing.
    they are more interested in the Dana 35 /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

14ff is a great axle

20. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I have a D60 rear and the only real weakness is the small axleshafts. I've broken 2 so far, but they were under extreme conditions. Although, last time I checked, one of my shafts had slightly twisted splines. Unless you get disc brake brackets from a member of this forum, the brackets for a D60 are cheaper than for a 14FF, ($180 vs. $240), from TSM. I like the increased ground clearance I get over a 14FF, but I'd like to get a 35-spline conversion kit and a spool to make it almost bulletproof.

Will